24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Injector Info Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injector Info Appreciated

I know this has been posted a thousand times probably but I would like some new thoughts on this subject. Mods are in my signature. I am looking to get a set of injectors finally. I would like to be between 75 and 150 HP injectors UNLESS you think that is too much for my setup. I really dont want to have to upgrade anything else yet so whats in my sig is all that will be supporting the injector mod. I would like to get as big as I can reliably handle so that I spend the money and dont wish I had a bigger set (I barely got the money to buy this set let alone buying another bigger set down the road). The truck is my play toy. I drive it to work alot during the week, take it muddin occasionally on the weekends and take it out skinnin sometimes I rarely tow with it and when I do its like 8-10K max. I am looking for a brand name reliable good injector. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I've been very happy with my Injectors from Diesel Dawgs. I had a set of 65's, and now have 150's. I can't say I have tried other brands to compare them, but they seem to be working great so far. Reasonably priced as well. As for size, I was going to say 150's, and do a turbo upgrade down the road. With mudding in the list of things to do, I'm not sure if that big is a good idea. It would be very easy to get out of EGT control while having fun, or getting in a tight spot. If you can cotrol your right foot until a better turbo, then 150's for sure. Otherwise a set of 75's will make a noticeable difference.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I get pretty hammer happy in the mud if ya no what i mean but I can keep her out of the mud and be a more mature respectful driver if need be. I would like to go 150's if you think I would be alright with them? And eventually get a bigger turbo. I am trying to avoid studding though too just because of the amount of time to do it and money. Also how hard are the injectors to do on these trucks? I am a John Deere mechanic and have done injectors on more than one occassion on a deere motor but have never even had the valve cover off of my truck

Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM
RAW
Administrator

Probably easier than any Deere engine, except the 6068's with pencil injectors. I'm a 9 year Deere guy, both Ag and Construction. I'm trying to think what they would be like, and the closest would be a 6081 with the early HPCR, less the electronics. Getting the rocker cover off, and #6 line off are the trickiest parts. After that, it's pretty simple. 3 hours for the first time, maybe.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all the help. Do I need any special tools for the injector job? and you think 150s be okay with the fass 95gph? thats my main concern i run 18psi idle and 15psi WOT with chip all the way up.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a set in last year for the first time. Like said, the #6 was the most difficult as I couldnt get my valve cover all the way off. Still, no special tools. I believe I used one of the intake elbow bolts threaded into the top of the injectors to use as a puller. I slid the open end of a wrench under the head of the bolt and used the nearest rocker arm as leverage to pop the injector out. Wordy, but I hope that helps!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the tips fellas. I am leaning towards the 125 HP diesel dawgs so they aint to much but still fairly big.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 PM
RAW
Administrator

They will do you well. There are a few write ups on here about replacing injectors, and it can also be found on YouTube.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

go 75 or 100 then get studs then turbo...

Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Love my 150's from Luke @ DIESEL DAWGS as well. Like stated above easy with right foot until a turbo.

Quick Reply: Injector Info Appreciated