24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Loosing Coolant, And Can't Find It.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Loosing Coolant, And Can't Find It.

Well, I'm loosing coolant somewhere, but I can't track it down. About once a month, I notice that the overflow bottle is nearly empty. I'll fill it to the mark, and it'll slowly become empty. I've checked radiator, and it's always up to the fill neck. There doesn't appear to be a crack in my block (53), there's no apparent coolant in the oil(will do sample next change), and there isn't any coolant leaking on the ground where I park. I've only had to fill the coolant reservoir twice now, so this is a 2008 development. I figure it's either a seeping headgasket, cracked block, leaky bottle, or a leaky line somewhere.

What hints y'all got for tracking this down?

about 205k on the odo.

'preciate the help.
Andy

Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, you could pressure test with dye and see if it something obvious.

It may be entering the combustion chamber and getting burned off. Usually, you'll have high pressure in the rad ans that will push out the coolant however.

Or a small leak into an oil passage. This water easily could enter the oil and get steamed out. Mine did just that.

Look for tell tale signs of seepage around the block. Typically, whitish chalky in color.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
AndyMan (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I thought about dye, and that may be what it comes down to.

Would it get into the combustion chamber via a leaky headgasket? I agree that you'll usually have high pressure in the rad and that push the coolant OUT. On my 12v, I had a seeping HG, and the rad pressure would get so high that it blew freeze plugs out of the back of the block! That was a ringer..

How would I diagnose a small leak in an oil passage? How in the world did you figure that out?

I feel like I looked the block over real good on the passenger side last night... where the 53's are notorious for cracking. I hope that it's something simple, however... I have a bad feeling (I'm a real pessimist).

Thanks for the help,
Andy

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

What about the simple problem, just a bad radiator cap. Worn out and letting steam past.

AndyMan (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
What about the simple problem, just a bad radiator cap. Worn out and letting steam past.
This is where i would start! You can borrow a kit from most shops that lets you test for combustion gases in the Antifreeze! Also, With a pressure tester, If you have a HG or combustion leak , the gauge will fluctuate!

Hope this helps! If I can be of assistance give me a call!

AndyMan (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
this or the thermostat. mine was sticking and causing weird problems. i was adding coolant every week. then randomly it stuck wide open. i changed it out and it magically fixed everything!

AndyMan (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Coolant Leaks...

Well first off to find a coolant leak you should pressurize the system and start looking for coolant flow. The only two places you can't really see is the heater core and the oil cooler in the block.

But ask yourself why the coolant leak? Coolant leaks are cause by the pH level of the coolant becoming corrosive (high or low pH level). It starts by attacking solder joint and soft metals.

How do you prevent this... Simple! Change you coolant as specified by the owner manual. (30K miles) Just because its green coloered yet doesn't mean it hasn't become acidic or basic and eating away at the metals in you coolant system.

5 Years old and 100K miles later...

(No rust in my block)

(No scale build up)

It's just that simple to protect you coolant system just change the coolant!

mysterync (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll give some of them a go. I'm big on maitenance, but I bought this truck with 175K. As good as the truck looked, there were some obvious deficiencies in its maitenance program.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got some good advice to go by!

Good Luck

AndyMan (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

im not the only one this has happened too. i got the idea from cowhand on dtr. he had the same thing happen. keep us posted. let us know the outcome!