24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge problems

O.K.,read a lot of stuff on the importance of a fuel pressure gauge in the truck. Looked around a little bit and decided on a Westach 30 psi electric gauge. Installation went good, nice and easy. Started up truck, up to 12 to 13 pound....great, stock LP. Went on the first long drive with it, pushed it a little bit up the hills,down to 9 psi. or so. Still not real bad, but decided that I would replace the pump in the near future like everybody says to do. SO, about 50 miles into the drive the gauge bounces up to 25 or so, stays there for a while, then down to 10, then down to 5, then back to 10, then pegs at 30 for a while! Called Geno's Garage up ( great customer service!! ) and we walked thru the install, everything checked out, so he sent me a whole new gauge and sending unit. When it arrived, put new gauge on the old sending unit, and it was all over the board again. Installed new sending unit to old gauge, up to 12 and stayed. Put new gauge on new sending unit, up to 12 and stayed. Figured I must of got a bad sending unit the first time, and everything was great now. Went on another drive, an hour into the drive, or 50 miles or so, started doing the same thing. Way up then way down, stay at zero for a while then back up to 10, 20, 30..... To me, couldn't have got two bad sending units in a row! Must be the LP. Ordered a FASS DDRP from Geno's, put it in ( easy install ! ) along with a new fuel filter, started the truck up, 15 to 16 at idle, pushing it, 12, then right back up to 15 to 16....Great! Went on another drive. Guess what.... an hour into the drive, the meter starts acting up. This time it's not going down, it slowly goes up to 20, then to 25, stays there a while then back down to 15. When it does go high, I can give it a little peddle and it will come back down to 15 or so. Went out today and turn the key on, didn't start the engine, and the meter pegged at 30, then came down to 25 and stayed without the motor running. Told the wife to come watch the gauge, I figured I would wiggle the wires around a little and see If I could figure out what the problem was. Wiggled everthing I could find, nothing happened, gauge still at 25. Tapped on the sending unit with my finger, went right down to zero!!! Turned the key off and on again, not engaging the LP, gauge went up to 20 and stuck again, without engine running. Tapped on sending unit again, back down to zero. TWO BAD SENDING UNITS?! Is there something I'm missing, not doing, or I'm I just that unlucky in the sending unit department. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

That's what it sounds like. For some reason getting a sending unit that has any longevity is hit or miss. We don't sell the westach brand, so I cannot tell you about their quality of sensors, I don't know.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. Went on another trip this weekend, seems like it works fine untill you drive for an hour or so maybe 50 to 60 miles than it starts jumping up to 20, 25, 30 pounds. Wouldn't bother me so bad if I new it was the sending unit and not a problem with something else. Bought the gauge to watch for problems with the fuel system, I don't want to guess if the gauge is working Probaby get back in touch with the gauge company and go for number three!!!

Thanks again!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

wow i have a fass 150hd lift pump and the needle only moves about a half psi on my gauge and that only happens when i stomp on it with the quad adr in level 10. i wonder if my gauge could be reading wrong. should it be dropping more? could there be air in the nylon line that would make it read wrong?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm guessing yours is right, and mine is wrong. Your FP puts out more volume than mine does, so it would seem that the needle wouldn't drop as far. Just a guess, because this is all still a little new to me. I'll be going for sending unit number three shortly, If that one goes bad, I'm sure I'll figure something else out. Is your fuel gauge electric or mech. and is it mounted to the top of your fuel filter housing?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i no longer have a fuel filter housing it is removed, fuel filter is on the fass pump. and the gauge is mechanical i believe. fuel comes though tube to a small square metal contraption and then to the gauge.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 PM

I am looking to install a fuel psi gauge in-place of my FASS LED kit coming from my FASS titanium LP. I would rather look at a Gauge then a LED. Any good electronic gauge kits/setups ,suggestions?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM

My first experience with an electric fuel gauge has not been the best, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. What I did was just go threw the threads and read everything you can, and usually you can get a pretty good idea which set-ups, and brands , seem to work the best. My brand seemed to be pretty good. Not the most exspensive, and not the least, upper middle of the road I guess. That's whats confusing me. It should be working great, but it's not.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a westach guage also, and I do not have that problem at all, hmm, where did you hook your power to and your ground?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

are your guages like these?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel gauge problems-pauls-diesel-014.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge problems