24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Riddle Me this.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riddle Me this.

I have a 99 3500 with the 5.9 cummims in it. Well the other day I stopped to
Put alittle fuel in it. It had an eight or less in the tank. Well I put in about 30.00 to get me to the next station where I usually buy fuel. Well i drove about a mile and the truck started surging on me when I went to stop at a light. Well i gave it alittle throttle and It was smooth until I found a parking lot amd let off of it when it died and would start back.

So i get it drug back to the house and pull it off the trailer reach inside and it fired up and is running smooth, it sat out there an ran prob 15 min before I shut it off. Well a buddy told me it might br a fuel filter. Well when I got home from work this morning I put in a new filter and start it. It runs for about 45 sec and dies. Well I go to
Crank on it and the first few times i turn it over nothing. Well i then hear a pump kick in ( i am assuming tht is the lift pump ) well I try to turn it over three more times with the pump kicking on all three times and it fires off amd runs smooth on the third try. Well it sits and idles for about 30 min and dies.
So i ho back an try to start it again and notice the "pump" doesnt kick in everytime, but when the pump does kick on and I try to start it about the third time it will start.
Im ignorant when it comes to these but I pick up on this stuff fast. Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this. The truck I bought just a few months ago with 170 ,000 miles an it is all stock. Can anyone point me in a direction? Thanks Mike

Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

Dis you bled the fuel lines to get all the air out? Sounds like maybe it has a LP going out or a bad batch of fuel.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1999stroker
Dis you bled the fuel lines to get all the air out? Sounds like maybe it has a LP going out or a bad batch of fuel.

No I never bled the lines. I didnt think it was needed since when it started ip it ran smooth. I have a buddy that I work with and he works on diesels on his days off and thats what he did before he came on the FD. He told me that he hasnt ever seen a LP work intermently (sp). But will a LP work like that or do they just go out all of the sudden?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

Not quite sure of say they can work intermittently before going out. Have you checked all your wiring etc? I know I have to bump the starter on mine to get the lp to run. Be careful you could harm the injection pump if its starving for fuel trying to crank for extended periods. 10 sec. Is the most id crank.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Diesel Fan

No I havent checked the wiring or anything yet. I just got back home from work this morning but ill check it shortly. I only try to crank it for about 10 sec then I let off of it. I walked out a few minutes ago and it cranked right up again ran smooth for about 10 min the started "surging". I gave it alittle throttle for about 10 sec let off and it was smooth again. Then I dropped it into drive and it died and wouldnt start again but I didnt hear the pump ever kick on. It seems that if it sits for a while it will crank right up.....

Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

I wouldn't start it and let it run without letting it warm up if it will stay running. Try bleeding the system, crack the injectors that you can get to and wait till a steady flow of fuel comes out tighten lines back up then try starting it and letting it run.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Diesel Fan

I wouldn't start it and let it run without letting it warm up if it will stay running. Try bleeding the system, crack the injectors that you can get to and wait till a steady flow of fuel comes out tighten lines back up then try starting it and letting it run.

Ok ill give it a shot this afternoon and get back.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Diesel Bomber

Ok. It took me 4grs to get my truck to run after replacing FF, my first cummins to I ended up having to pop line going to injection pump.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok. It took me 4grs to get my truck to run after replacing FF, my first cummins to I ended up having to pop line going to injection pump.

Ok, i checked the wiring and everything seems fine there. Then i went and picked up 5 more gallons of fuel and put in the truck to maybe dilute the "bad" fuel if that was the problem. Then I got my wife and she cranked it while I bled the first four lines. The truck kept starting on her. After we were through with that I drive it around the place for about ten minutes and then it died on me again when I stopped and it came back down to a idle. Now it wont start but it will in a fee hours when I go back out there. So IDK what ideas have yall got?

I dont think me changing the fuel filter out is what caused it as it was doing it before that. I was leaning towards bad fuel since it started it shortly
After putting fuel in it....

Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Diesel Bomber

Then I would drain fuel out of system and tank clean tank good add new fuel with water remover or good fuel cleaner.