24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Could use a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Could use a little advice

Hey guys, im new on here, I've had my 98.5 24v auto tranny, for a little over a year. She's pretty much stock, MBRP 4" turbo back, Raptor lift pump and K&N drop in filter. Healthy running truck, NO SMOKE, only a little puff when i fire it up, which is fine by me. I had the TPS replaced within 2 months of owning it. The lift pump also went out.

my question is, the truck is awesome and all, but it feels like it should have more power.. sometimes when i floor it it just revs the motor pretty high and then it'll just take off. no idea why. I've already got a programmer picked out, just waiting on some extra $$$ first. Any idea why it might be doing this?
And if there are any free/affordable mods for this tank, please let me know.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

It sounds like your torque converter is slipping.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

torque converter not locking up... have you been keeping regular maintaince on your tranny, such as changing fluid and changing bands also, needs to be done every 30-50K You can also try to relearn your APPS. Disconnect your BATT, and leave them un pluged with the key on to drain all energy from the transistors and then after 30 minutes or so shut the key of reconnect BATT's and turn Key On Engine Off and slowly push in the accelerator and move it back to the idle postion...

Last edited by RanchhandTCR; 09-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Diesel Fan

ive only put about 17K on it since i bought it. I had all the bands adjusted and fluid changed when they did the TPS, had that done at 137xxx and its at 149xxx now.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok.. so basically go out there, undo my battery terminals, turn the key on and leave it for like 30-45mins. Then re-connect and slowly press the throttle with the key on but not running.. gottcha. I'll get on it in a few, if not for sure tomorrow.

any mods ya'll can think of, cheap n easy?

Last edited by AlaskanRenegade; 09-07-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the exact same problem the truck just doesnt seem like its got the power it should if im pulling a load and go to take off it falls flat on its face but when im at hightway speeds i can pass cars with ease whick is y iv come to think the 3.55 gears is some of the problem my cousin has an identical truck but his has 4.10 and when he floors it it will set you back in the seat where mine has to think about it start to go then think some more and then finally go but mine gets better fuel economy 1500rpm at 60 where his is at 2000 to 2200rpm put a programmer on it and you will have a different truck just my opinion

Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Yea, mine's got 3.55s as well, it's an extended cab short bed, i get pretty awesome mileage, depending on how heavy my boot gets. Better than my dad's 08 6.7L with a "Juice Box With Attitude".
I'm planning on getting the Quadzilla Adrenaline PV2, when i get some spare cash.

I'm gunna go out and do the APPS reset here in a few. if it stops raining

Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Diesel Bomber

I have 3.55 long bed with 237K on the engine and tranny, and when I put it to the floor, she means buisness... 3.55 are not what causes lack of power but the 4.10 put more to the floor with less power but cant quite get the speed or mileage, I get 21MPG when I do long distance trips and more like 18-19 for the screwin around in town and ranch, and when Im in the big cities its more like 15-16mpg. I plan on gettin a Edge EZ, nothin serious but gives me that extra push for when I want it, plus the extra fuel milage which is what Im realy after. But dont buy a programmer that gonna eat your tranny to!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

But the lack of power on take off is mostly due to either, your PCM not reading thing correctly such *** the APPS reading are off, or torque converter is not locking up.. But give the APPS a try and see if it helps with anything... There realy no cheap mods for the 24 Valves, just money for Air Filters, programmers, exhaust and to buy a programmer.

Last edited by RanchhandTCR; 09-08-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Diesel Fan

yea idk what her deal is, she gets it on the highway, overall, a nasty truck, but it just feels like its half full ya know? i get 18-19 in the city i live in, depending on my habits.... and 22-24+ on the highway
I'm going to mess with it a bit tomorrow since its my day off. APPS reset, buy a CAT filter, change my oil n what not but i really need to figure out why it's droppin the ball when she's floored. hopefully the APPS will fix it.

shes got a 4" turbo back, K&N drop in, & Raptor pump
and the programmer, ive done some research, and I'll be safe with it, tranny work is a pain.. all that fun aint worth all the $$$

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

Any luck with the APPS just got off baling hay....

Old 09-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

haven't had time to, busy weekend with moose hunting season. I'm home now so after dinner, she's gettin some hours put on her. APPS, oil & filter change, and clean my air filter.

I'll keep you updated

Quick Reply: Could use a little advice