24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Help! Clutch Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Clutch Failure

I’m looking for some quick advice regarding my 2002 Ram 2500 w/ stock clutch and motor. I was reversing yesterday, and all of the sudden the clutch would not disengage, so I had to stall the truck to avoid an accident. Now, when the clutch pedal is pressed, there is almost no resistance and I hear a hissing “hydraulic” sound.

The clutch reservoir is full, so I pulled the slave cylinder. Upon pressing the pedal, it does push the rod in the slave cylinder.

At this point, I am leaning towards it being a clutch failure. There were no warning signs, and I had no reason to think it was on its way out. I’m planning on replacing the clutch, but are there any other things to check/look for to verify that it is indeed a clutch?

I’m thinking it may specifically be the clutch release bearing, and I can order that from NAPA. However a friend said that it comes with a new clutch kit and that I should just do the whole thing.The truck was used by the PO for heavy towing (5th wheel and jake brake). I have no idea how worn the clutch is if it is just the release bearing.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the time you have take out your tranny you should just spend the money and get a new clutch. if your going to leave your truck stock go with a stock clutch they are the smoothest and come with the most meat. if you are going to be adding some ponies to it get a valair clutch they ingauge the best/smoothest and grip the hardest and are far less exspencive. when it comes to your problem check see if your leacking fluid. if you are you have a leak not alowning the clutch to disingauge. if there is no fluid anywere then you pilot bearing has gone out and is most likely froozen on the input shaft. this is bad you will most likely have to replace the shaft or find a repare sleeve along with the pilot bearing. if you dont fix the shaft if there is a groove in it, it will just do this all over agian. if you do replace the clutch it is true it will come with a polit bearing.

Last edited by scottmorgan; 08-07-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by scottmorgan
by the time you have take out your tranny you should just spend the money and get a new clutch. if your going to leave your truck stock go with a stock clutch they are the smoothest and come with the most meat. if you are going to be adding some ponies to it get a valair clutch they ingauge the best/smoothest and grip the hardest and are far less exspencive. when it comes to your problem check see if your leacking fluid. if you are you have a leak not alowning the clutch to disingauge. if there is no fluid anywere then you pilot bearing has gone out and is most likely froozen on the input shaft. this is bad you will most likely have to replace the shaft or find a repare sleeve along with the pilot bearing. if you dont fix the shaft if there is a groove in it, it will just do this all over agian. if you do replace the clutch it is true it will come with a polit bearing.
So I have to replace the input shaft because the bearing failed? That seems a bit extreme, is there a way I can tell if it's grooved before I pull it apart?

Also, When I pulled the driveshaft, I found a small "BB" sized bearing on the ground. From what I can tell it appears to have come out of whatever bearing is closest to the output shaft.

Does anyone have a part number on that bearing? It appears to be the rear-most bearing in the extension housing. "Extension housing bearing" maybe.

Last edited by brianb883; 08-07-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Diesel Fan

So after alot of work, bruises and cuts, I finally got the transmission back in last night. Unfortunately, it did not solve my problem, so tonight I'm replacing the hydraulics with a complete pre-filled kit I purchased from Carquest.

I'm hoping this solves the issue, because it's a bit disappointing that after all of the work, getting soaked in fluid, having the transmission fall on me twice, it still didn't solve the initial problem.

I'll post back tonight when the new linkage is installed, hopefully it'll work!