1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

89 VE pump Rebuild Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 VE pump Rebuild Help

Ok everyone Im trying to find an answer on this but keep finding the same answer that isnt helping me.. Im about to rebuild my Ve pump...I got a 4000rpm governor spring, Bosch Rebuild kit and have a dynamic timing kit and a fuel pin from M&H coming any day...My problem.. When I received the rebuild kit and spring,I took it upon myself to get down to the spring..What I didnt know was to MARK what position the throttle was on that splined shaft that goes down to the spring..Everywhere I look it says mark where it was before you take it off...Well I didnt know that...So my question is, Where do I put it?. I can get it close to where I think it might be. I have been trying to look for a book to buy for a complete tear down and rebuild of the VE pump but cant find one..This has to be a joke. Nobody makes a manual for this...Its really pissing me off!!! Anybody have any answers to those 2 questions..Thanks Mike

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Throttle shaft index isn't too difficult, don't worry about it until you get the pump back on the truck. Everytime I've had to reset my throttle index I've done it with out the lever and guess work. Turnin the shaft back and forwarth you can hear the slop in the spring/linkage and governor. Rotate the shaft by hand CCW until you feel positive resistance. Turn the shaft CW until you hear the spring relax, CCW until slight resistance. Fire the truck up, it may idle high. Turn the shaft until your idle is close to where you want it and shut the truck off w/o bumping the shaft. put your throttle lever on and hook up your linkage. See where you're at from there. That'll save you plenty of guess work. If idle is low from that point; turn your full fuel screw in a little bit to bring the idle up. Also note; if your full fuel screw isn't remotely close to factory adjustment the truck will not start. If you run into this and feel your index is spot on, 9 times out of 10 it's just your full fuel screw still backed out from re-assembly. As for pump rebuild; contact a pump shop and see if you can get afew pages of their manuals photo copied. Maybe even afew mins on the phone with industrial injection and they could point you in the right direction; or send you the info you need. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users liked this post:
MudDrivermike (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks I will try that.. Right now im putting the bottom end back together. Im rebuilding the engine...I am planning to first fire it up on my engine stand. Id like to say in a month ill have it running..Ill do the injection pump close to last..Ill be able to work on it easier that way and get it ready before it goes into my truck. As for talking to the shops around here,,,They all seem to need to get their heads out of their ***'s.. If its not PAYING them to do some kind of work they try not to help and give vague answers to brush you off...But good thing there is people like you on this site willing to help out...Thanks Mike

Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

like mike said, its trial and error w the throttle shaft, i was in the same boat u were in and took me a few tries to get it working, if its off by one tooth the engine wont start, and be careful w that fuel screw ive had mine run away twice, turn it in too far and u best have a board to put infront of the turbo, ive found that its much easier to kill one by loosening the after cooler pipe and pulling it off and throwing ur board in front of the intake horn for a quicker less smokey shut off

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I rebuilt the ve on our 92 and a guy at an injector shop told me to put the lever on the splines. Before putting the throttle return spring in place push it to full throttle and let it loose. It should return about half way between idle and full. I followed that and it worked perfectly the first time. I put super glue on the full fuel screw lock nut before I took it out so I would get it back where it came from.

The following users liked this post:
MudDrivermike (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ive been tied up lately. I dont plan to touch any of the adjustments..If it wasnt for some idiot using orange silicone on the rubber gasket where the spring is,i wouldnt be rebuilding it to fix a leak. I wont get to the pump for a few weeks. But I am installing an M&H fuel pin, 4000 rpm spring,and a dynamic timing kit. I have a bosch rebiuld kit.So I will add to this thread either to let everyone know how I made out or if I run into any more questions.So I thank everyone in advance for any help they have given me...Mike

Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

You can see the orange goop...

Attached Thumbnails 89 VE pump Rebuild Help-101_2550.jpg