1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1993 dodge w350..alternator will not charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lebaron
Then theres a clicking relay under the hood near the battery on drivers side. The colder it is the longer it takes to kick in on full charge. The old man was driving it and he said it took about 2 miles before it started to fully charge. Then kicked back out a few miles later after driving. It never did that to me but I can find out why the manifold heater wont kick in when cold. Have juice to both solenoids for the manifold heater. Any ideas what going on?
my truck started doing this clicking, and and turning on and off the charging system. you can watch the gauge. i have not had a chance to really play with it yet, but i think the heater solenoids have somthing to do with it.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking on the driver side

did any one ever figure out what the clicking was as i have have the same no charge sitution as the others click charge no click no charge thanks gary

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, I know that this is an old thread, but I had a charging issue (again) two days ago and Full fielded the alternator by grounding the wire that runs to the PCM and it cranked out good amperage, then next time I fired the truck up, it charged fine again. I also noticed a couple minutes earlier that one grid heater relay was sticking on, and my grid heater was smoking! So Im guessing my PCM is starting to go bad on me and its having intermittent problems. Neither of these problems were happening 5 days ago, and I don't think either are now. I did leave the grid heater relay unhooked for now just in case but I think i'm on the way to deleting my PCM. Do any of you know if the PCM is serviceable? Im kinda thinking that it might just be dirty on the inside and some electronics cleaner may even do the trick. Im just starting to get tired of the intermittent issues and would rather just have my grid heaters on buttons and my alternator on a separate regulator.