Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I have a 92 d250 auto w/overdrive.My speedometer doesn't work and my trans will not go into overdrive.I took the speedo gear out of the tail end of the trans and it was worn down.The one I took out was yellow.I replaced it with a ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

Default Help No Speedometer or Overdrive

I have a 92 d250 auto w/overdrive.My speedometer doesn't work and my trans will not go into overdrive.I took the speedo gear out of the tail end of the trans and it was worn down.The one I took out was yellow.I replaced it with a green one and it worked a couple miles and the teeth got eaten off and speedo quit again,The dodge dealer(parts) informed me the yellow 30 tooth gear has been discontinued.He also informed me that all the gears are the same diameter just different number gears depending on gear ratio and tire size.My question is do I have an internal trans problem that's going to keep eating up gears?If so is this a hard fix?I would hate to have to take the trans out and a apart just for speedo.But I want to have overdrive and I have been told if the speedo doesn't work this could be the reason I have no overdrive.Any help would be appreciated.By the way I just bought the truck with this problem.Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Diesel Fan

Sounds like the cable is binding up. Might be time for either a new cable, or pull it out, clean, and put some light clinging grease on the internal piece.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

found the problem the gear was not indexed correctly
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

if in the future it happens again, you can wire your OD on a toggle switch so it works regardless of your vss working

tltruckparts's Sig:1995 Chevy K2500, 1993 Cummins P Pumped 12 valve Turbo Diesel IC, Getrag 5 speed w/ southbend clutch, NP205 Transfercase, SAS w/ GM Dana 60 front. custom fabbed coil suspension, AAM 11.5 rear, BFG MT 35's. SDX 5x14 injectors, PhatShaft 62, airdog II 165, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Fuel Pressure, hydraulic steering. and a few moore goodies
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
Sounds like the cable is binding up. Might be time for either a new cable, or pull it out, clean, and put some light clinging grease on the internal piece.

No cable. It leads to a sending unit.

GLad the issue has been resolved!

Diesel Nut's Sig:
1994 Reg Cab 6 speed 4x4
Some fuel, some air, some machine work, its fun.

Become an Amsoil Preferred Customer
Become an Amsoil Dealer
Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

Thanks for the input.I did order me an adjustable overdrive switch just in case this doesn't fix the problem.Now I just have to wait for the mailman,
Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM

How do you wire the toggle switch in for the OD? And where so you get the adjustable OD switch?

Diesel Nut i read a post the other day that you had some info for troubleshooting a PCM for an alternator not charging. I'm having that problem too! Can you help?

Last edited by dbwhite1; 03-26-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

hey dbwhite 1 you should go here and introduce yourself http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-...roduction/then ask your question here 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 - Diesel Bombers hope it helps
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

new pcm solved everything but my overdrive and cruise control,I can live without cruise.Now I have a code 24 from the pcm,which is TPS shorted or open.I put a pot on and still no overdrive.Does anyone have a pic where the wires go in the trans. for the OD solenoid?I thought I found it but I was toldl it was the neutral safety switch.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Click the image to open in full size.

The one that looks yellow in the pic. It faces strait up. Picture looks weird because it is mirrored for some reason they do that when ya upload.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ha ha. Wow! Scratch the mirrored part, to many beers tonight.

Last edited by pewder; 03-30-2010 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

submit to reddit