1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

front end hops

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end hops

hey guys, my w250 front end hops whenever i hit the brakes. it only does it when slowing down to a stop. it doesnt matter if im turning or going straight. its becoming progressively worse and really starting to annoy me cause it hurts your dang back. ive read about death wobble but none of the posts i find tell how to fix it. does this sound like that to youns? if it is any ideas on how to correct it? thanks everybody

Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

can you tell if the tires are causing it to hop from the front locking up or is it more of a suspension problem? Get a friend and have him get in the truck and move the steering wheel from side to side as you look at the front end. Look for any movement in the tie rods and such. hope that helps.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

jack up one side at a time and see if you can wiggle the wheel. grab the top of the tire (given your on the side by the fender) and see if you can pull it towards you or not. if there is any play in it at all, it will be caused by pretty much one of two things. wheel bearings or kingpin bushings. if there is no play, look into your steering stabilizer shot is most likely the culprit

Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
jack up one side at a time and see if you can wiggle the wheel. grab the top of the tire (given your on the side by the fender) and see if you can pull it towards you or not. if there is any play in it at all, it will be caused by pretty much one of two things. wheel bearings or kingpin bushings. if there is no play, look into your steering stabilizer shot is most likely the culprit
First gen Dodges dont come with steering stabilizer's from the factory(that I know of). And they are just a bandaid for worn parts or geometry problems normally caused by lift's and or angle shim's,big tire's and or wide wheel's with little backspacing.So I disagree with the steering stabilizer being the problem.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe it might be the tie rod.......

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

well in my case the band aid has been a good thing its taken care of the death wobble that so many of these 1st gens get and the 1st gen should of come from the factory with them and guess what mine is still just stock like the dozens of others i have seen them installed on so general C check everything out like ttipsword and tltruckparts said thats the best way

Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ArizonaRedneck
well in my case the band aid has been a good thing its taken care of the death wobble that so many of these 1st gens get and the 1st gen should of come from the factory with them and guess what mine is still just stock like the dozens of others i have seen them installed on so general C check everything out like ttipsword and tltruckparts said thats the best way
i know the 2nd and 3rd gens have steering stabilizers from the factory, and when they go bad, it causes a horrible death wobble. the 91 in my yard has a steering stabilizer on it. whether its stock or not i dont know i havent looked yet.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

my 93 didnt come stock with one but it does now

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

first gens have a tendancy to hang up a brake caliper now and then which causes the rotor to overheat and warp and then cause this type of problem. no guarantee but another thing to check.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had the death wobble, stearing had no play, no bad bearings. stearing stableizer fixed it. the truck is lifted a little. and a stearing stableizer is not a band aid in my opinion

Quick Reply: front end hops