Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

i have been told that you dont want to put K&N air filters on your truck because the filter will allow the oils out of the filter pass by and hurt the turbo, does any body know... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Diesel Fan

Default K&N air filters

i have been told that you dont want to put K&N air filters on your truck because the filter will allow the oils out of the filter pass by and hurt the turbo, does any body know
Old 11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Diesel Wrench
Status: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

View Member's Albums

I've heard the same thing. I have a K&N in my truck, because it was in here when I bought it. I also just dismantled my turbo to upgrade it and saw nothing bad at all. There was no residues or anything. I've just been lazy and haven't gotten the BHAF yet.

muskrat's Sig:
93 Dodge W250 CTD
Auto Tranny
Tweeked IP
366 Spring
M&H M4 Fuel Pin
H1C/60mm Wheel/14cm Exhaust Housing
4" Exhaust Out 5" Stack
Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Diesel Fan

hey muskrat, what is this bhaf unit you are talking about? i did quite a bit of looking around for my 91 and all i came up with was k and n or an air raid. wound up purchasing the kand n.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums

BHAF= Big Honkin Air Filter. They are just an extra big filter that fits our air intake. They require a special home brewed mount of one sort or another. The "old smokey mount" is popular. I'll try and hook you up with more info in a moment.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Diesel Fan

i appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums

Found it. Here is a thread with the part #s for our trucks and directions for the mount.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-gen...7-air-box.html
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks musk! i found my project for tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have K+N's in both of my trucks. Work fine for me.

Richie O's Sig:89 Dodge W250, auto, 3.07 factory l/s, 4 inch stans exhaust, S300G 57/64/14, powerstroke intercooler 297 HP. 93 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s , 6x16's, 60mm GDS H1C with 16 cm exhaust, work in progress.301 HP 92 W250 with a NV4500.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Diesel Fan

I,ve run K&N and Green HP air filters - I'm currently running a Green HP on a custom built intake to the turbo. I have not had any trouble with either one. The key is to not over oil either one.

Bob

Bob Beauchaine's Sig:1993 CTD 4X2 Horton Fan, Green HP Air Filter, Custon Air Intake, Banks IC, Tim Worline Intake Horn, 14cm2, PDRHX35, ATS EXH,15%+VE, Denny T Sage II, 3200 GSK DD3 Injectors, BD Exh. Brake, 4" Rip Rook EXH, NV4500HD, SB Clutch & Guages Snow WM -394/888 on #2 - 441/889 WM
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I understand it as…

If you put to much oil on the filter some oil will pass though the filter and end up on down stream electronics. A stock filter will trap more dirt then a K&N if it’s not oiled (I have been told).

jessy's Sig:15 2008 Freightliner dump trucks
7 2000 Mack dump trucks
8 mix and match work trucks

submit to reddit