1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How exactly do you install a EGT, tranny fuel pressure and boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly do you install a EGT, tranny fuel pressure and boost gauge?

It has been recommended to me that I install all these gauges before I go wild in turning my truck up.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do it properly?

I also need to know how to wire them, and where to splice into if I need to do that. I have been told that a lot of people use the cigarette lighter as their power source. Well mine doesn't work, I think it is a blown fuse, so how exactly do i change fuses on these trucks? How can I tell where the cigarette lighter fuse is? (sorry, this is my first time dealing with electrical things, and diesels.)

Thanks guys!

Old 07-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

i wouldnt use the cigarette lighter as a power source. Try to drill your hole for the exhaust probe before the turbo if you can. For the boost gauge, there is a place to hook it into, I just cant remember where. Somebody will chime in here and help out some more. Ive never done the tranny gauge so idk about that one

Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

most of the guages come with instuctions to install them, like jason said tap the exhaust manifold before the turbo...there are plugs in the intake manifold for you use to hook up your boost guage, and i know on second gens there are plugs on the passenger side of the tranny for the guage to hook into...but i imagine the 1st gens are alot different and you may have to tap your tranny somewhere else for the guage

Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

make sure before you go drilling a hole in the manifold you got some way to get the metal shavings out......grease a drill bit real good and drill the hole, then take something long and thin covered in grease and push it down into the hole and get the excess shavings out, then tap your hole with grease on the tap then clean up the rest of the shavings like stated above......then what very little is left will blow out the exhaust........

Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

For the EGT probe I have always just let the truck run while drilling and tapping. The manifold is cast and all the chunks get blown out and the little dust that comes off passes right through the turbo. At idle the turbo is spinning to slow for the metal dust to hurt it. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up to the size you need. Done this to alot of trucks and never had a problem.

The boost gauge goes in a plug that is on the drivers side of the engine behind the bracket for the throttle. You will need to pull it off and drill a hole. You can see were that brass tube I put in comes through the bracket and the hole I drilled. You don't need that tube I put it there because I needed to boost reference a couple different things. You can see teh boost line (white tube) coming in from teh right and the compression coupling it goes to. Just remove the plug on the head right behind were that hole is and put it there.

Name:  0618091829.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  48.9 KB

The tranny temp gauge will be fine in the pan. Pull the pan and weld a bung in there.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Diesel Fan

anybody got a pic of the egt probe placement??

Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look to the left of the heater lines

My gauges were tapped into my cab visor for power for the lights

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

ok i see now thanks i was going to put it in the down pipe. is there a differance in there compared to where you put it?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the tranny gauge I got a second pan and took it to my trans place and they put the bung that came with the gauge in facing the rear of the truck IIRC. I ran the copper line up through my 4x4 shifter with just a slight grinding of the ring around the shifter to avoid pinching.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by coeboy
ok i see now thanks i was going to put it in the down pipe. is there a differance in there compared to where you put it?
It's more acurate pre-turbo as post turbo is ~200* or so cooler. There is still some debate as to which is better but I've always run pre-turbo. When you drill for the probe make sure you offset it towards the cab to avoid hitting the divider in the manifold and the #6 cylinder is supposed to run the hottest.

Last edited by chromehound; 09-29-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Diesel Fan

ok works for me will do first thing in am thanks everyone

Quick Reply: How exactly do you install a EGT, tranny fuel pressure and boost gauge?