1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Its paid for.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

the fact that even with the timing boogered up it would still start at 10 degrees with no grid heaters or block heater... sounded cool as hell

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the fact that i have to go to the chiropractor every time i drive mine

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the fact that at 350,00 miles nothing other than adjusting valves, timing the pump, replacing the water pump and changing the oil & filters.
She still starts, pulls and runs GREAT.
When you lock your keys in the truck or the door locks will not open (even with the key) – You can still climb thru the sliding glass window.
I love the fact that when loading fire wood to help do my part to speed up global warming – I really do not care about maring the paint or denting the bed.
The very fact that my trucks exhaust smells sooooooo much better that my brothers 2nd gen.
I love the fact that when the truck sets for weeks on end because diesel fuel is $5.00 per gallon – I can jump in and fire it right up and head to get a load of mulch.
The absolute number one reason that I love my dirty old beat up 93 CTD Dually – “Chicks dig it and always want a ride”~!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg G
When you lock your keys in the truck or the door locks will not open (even with the key) – You can still climb thru the sliding glass window.
I love the fact that when loading fire wood to help do my part to speed up global warming – I really do not care about maring the paint or denting the bed.
unless the headache rack from your flatbed covers the sliding window it's okay, though, my passenger door lock/latch assembly is broken so instead of replacing it, I just disabled the locking feature...so now I CAN'T lock my keys in

Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Sorry mine is still a fully functioning truck with an 8 ft bed (that never has to be made). Not a Flat bed – Way to hard to haul wood, mulch and the larger girls (they would roll right off). Like the post wanted to know and what I stated – “Why I love my truck”. One other thing that I did leave out is this – I love the fact that DODGE used a ½ ton ball joint in a REAL truck. One item that will wear out and cause me great grief when the wheel falls off 250 miles from home and the DODGE dealer at that time gets $95.00 per joint plus labor… Door locks – Just like the light switch. I can tear it down and fix the problem in a matter of minutes. Adapt – Over come and Improvise – the Marines and Dodge owners everywhere~!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

I like how easy it is to get more power out of mine. If you get beat, you just ask the guy who beat you if you can borrow a screwdriver, go do some tweakin, and run'em again. I just wish I had a few dollars to fix some of the small stuff wrong with mine so it was like when I got it.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Diesel Fan

I love the king pin dana 60 that sits under the front, instead of that balljoint crap.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by puddlepirate
I love the king pin dana 60 that sits under the front, instead of that balljoint crap.
YES!! serviceable wheel bearings and locking hubs. those hubs make the perfect height step for me to use while leaning across the chasm to reach something on the engine.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

1st gens were built when trucks were trucks!

I love the rugged looks, the clean, sharp body lines. They just look like they could hit a cement truck head on and come out the winner.

God I love that VE sound. Nothing sounds like a VE truck.

The response. The VE trucks drive so much smoother and easier than P pumped trucks.

Yeah, it rides a little rough, but read my first response.

So much easier to work on, to diagnose, to upgrade. . . . . .

Only downside is a non lock up transmission, but I have a plan for that . . . .

The following users liked this post:
Diesel loco (07-20-2011)

Quick Reply: What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?