1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I love how she NEVER lets me down

Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the milage, the looks, power, how it feels, the looks you get cuz not many around, sound, And they're dang near bullet proof. I ahve 2 of em so i kno

Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I like mine 'cause it was cheap and it's paid for; not near as nice as the 2nd gen I had, though.
it's a tough, rugged beast of a work truck. mine is called the Mexican Mtn Goat. the front leaf springs are, growing, on me. I can certainly relate to the coffee on the shirt reference, too!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

I love the overdrive and 3.07 rear end, and the lack of a speedometer, that makes me have to guesstimate speed based on RPM, and how I finally get a GPS speedometer and realize while I'm cruising down the road at 2600 RPM that 2500 RPM is 100 miles an hour.

I love how Dodge hadn't figured out the concept of "relays" yet when they built the first gens. Oh, wait, that one sucks.

I love the ability to squat on the frame rail on either side of the engine while making repairs.

I love talking to my wet, overheating and desperate-for-more truck like it's the sadomasochistical dirty woman I will never have.

I love taking out the air-side engine compartment splash shield so that the glowing-red manifold illuminates the night-time track on the way down.

I love how good four 6x9's and a sub sound in a regular cab.

I love the weak frame that flexs like a cobra when it's on the dyno. Oh no, wait, that one sucks.

VENT WINDOWS.

I love how my truck starts on the first crank.

I love how my engine has one wire required for it to work right, on a toggle switch, and my tranny has one wire for it to work right, on a toggle switch.

I love how shut-down cables and gutted fuel shut off solenoids make the cops completely unable to turn off your truck while you're handcuffed on the side of the road.

I love how worn tumblers make anybody else completely unable to start the truck unless they know the two-handed start trick.

I love the RWAL system. Oh, no, wait, I hate the RWAL system.

If every solid state electric component in my truck goes out when the Ruskies EMP us, I can start and drive anywhere without an alternator, gauges or water injection.

I love people inexplicably offering to buy my truck whenever it has been washed recently.

I love how the cops tail and harrass me whenever I'm in Norco, California, because they remember getting calls from concerned citizens about a red Dodge doing autodressage on city or private property over a year ago. No, actually that sucks.

That's right, the turbocharger is the only emissions device on the vehicle. Somehow Dodge got away with making a vehicle in 1990 that doesn't even have an evap system, PCV valve or catalytic converter.

I love the vent on the driver's side kick panel.

The dash really, really sucks compared to almost any other dash on the planet.

I love the rubber moulding on the quarter panels that is attached with 44 plastic pieces that cost $8 a piece.

I love the Ramcharger tank.

The following 2 users liked this post by Begle1:
Legato (12-13-2013), packratc (03-15-2015)
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the part i love about my 1st gen is the fact that there are very few driving around in my area. vent windows are handy, And the two color paint job from the factory. They just don't paint trucks like they used to. And overall just the old school factor of the 1st gen really makes it worth it.
ez

Old 09-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Begle1
I love how shut-down cables and gutted fuel shut off solenoids make the cops completely unable to turn off your truck while you're handcuffed on the side of the road.
HAHAHAHA! how do you know this? I'd like to hear about it!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't have one, but I do like how they Sound!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the incredible reliability and the fuel economy

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how they have the cute little dash thing inside and they look small enoujgh to park in a garage
i dont own one but would kill for the dude who has that red one on here!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you talking about me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?