1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

91 DRW Front Brakes Wear Uneven

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 91 DRW Front Brakes Wear Uneven

my dad's 91 dually has been wearing the pads unevenly, even after putting napa rebuilt calipers on, along with new pads and rotors. by uneven I don't mean one's a bit more than the other, I mean one pad in the caliper will be completely shot while the other's hardly worn.

at first I thought it'd be the calipers not sliding but we put the rebuilt ones in and everything was greased/lubed/clean and it's still happening....

anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you tried adjusting them or are they auto adjusters?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

not sure what adjuster you're talking about. if it helps, it's an early 91, pre-intercooler.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

Something still isn't right with one of the calipers. My experience has been that if it wears the inner pad it's typically a sticky caliper piston and if it wears the outer then it's typically a sticking caliper.

Does it pull to one side? If it always pulls to one side then you have a sticking caliper but if only pulls when the brakes are applied then I'd say you have a sticky piston. Or if it pulls briefly after hitting the brakes but straightens out it's typically a sticking caliper.

You need to recheck everything. Try pushing the pistons of both calipers in and see if the caliper slides. You should be able to slide it by hand. There's something there. I've even taken files to the spindle to clearance things. Just make sure you keep the file flat or it'll make an angle and the caliper will stick.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the caliper off and look where it rides. The little ledge will wear down where the inner pad and caliper sit on it. If you have to file it too much, the caliper will be loose on the bracket, not good. You may have to replace the bracket.