1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turbo choice non Intercooled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo choice non Intercooled?

Finishing up my truck just did head studs, 60# valve springs bd exhaust manifold, fuel pin and spring. Looking to replace the stock h1c do you have any suggestions? Trucks automatic by the way. Plan on doing the swap after winter so would turbo choice differ if so I can wait till after swaps done.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What fuel mods do you plan on? If you plan on sticking with with the non intercooled theme I would go to The Hungry Diesel and get a better cross over tube

Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll be running a WH1C or HX35 on my Ramcharger. ('89 non-IC) Will be a 5speed though.

From the forum research I've done, the HX35 and stock non-IC injectors are a good match.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MasterG73
What fuel mods do you plan on? If you plan on sticking with with the non intercooled theme I would go to The Hungry Diesel and get a better cross over tube

Well as for fuel mods I have a hungry diesel fuel pin gonna adjust star wheel 1.5 turns or all way down depending on how it runs, power screw about 2 turns I believe 3 is at runaway. Gonna have the ve pump for a while don't plan on p pumping it yet atleast. And I don't want to Intercooled it yet atleast so I basically wanna set it up for non Intercooled 5 speed but I'll be running auto 727 trans for next few months so if the turbo has to be for a manual then I'll have to put the stock turbo back on for now.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
I'll be running a WH1C or HX35 on my Ramcharger. ('89 non-IC) Will be a 5speed though.

From the forum research I've done, the HX35 and stock non-IC injectors are a good match.
Can the hx35 run on a automatic? 727 3 speed non lock up non overdrive

Also as for the intake crossover tube will I have to get a different set up.
And also the down pipe for a h1c will it be different for the hx35 I'm pretty sure it will

I did some research on it and I believe there is different versions of the hx35 someone on some site said there's ones with weak shafts so not sure if it's all of them.

But as for the turbo my trucks gonna be auto for winter after winter I'll be doing 5 speed swap so if there's a turbo I can run on either thag would be great even if I don't benefit from it thag much from a auto that's fine cause I'll be swapping to manual just don't want to run one turbo that's for auto and done the road when I swap to manual find out that it's not that good for the set up and end up needing a different turbo

Old 11-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by Apica718
Can the hx35 run on a automatic? 727 3 speed non lock up non overdrive

Also as for the intake crossover tube will I have to get a different set up.
And also the down pipe for a h1c will it be different for the hx35 I'm pretty sure it will

I did some research on it and I believe there is different versions of the hx35 someone on some site said there's ones with weak shafts so not sure if it's all of them.

But as for the turbo my trucks gonna be auto for winter after winter I'll be doing 5 speed swap so if there's a turbo I can run on either thag would be great even if I don't benefit from it thag much from a auto that's fine cause I'll be swapping to manual just don't want to run one turbo that's for auto and done the road when I swap to manual find out that it's not that good for the set up and end up needing a different turbo
I don't know about HX35 and autos... all I can imagine is the wastegate actuator and trans cooler might get in the way of each other.

I'm going to grind the lip off the compressor outlet and use a 2.5" to 2" silicone adapter boot. Stock downpipe works on the earlier (94-98?)WH1C/HX35. On the later one (98-02?) you change the 45 elbow for the earlier style. However, I've witnessed the later style and 2ndgen downpipe being used on a 1stgen 2wd auto before.

Like I said, an HX35 is supposed to handle as much as the stock non-IC injectors can throw at them. The early version is an 8-blade, the later a 7 blade. The wastegate actuator style differs greatly between the two. I'm currently running the late HX35 (7-blade) on my W250 with a copy of the early outlet flange that I built myself.

Some pics here:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...flange-299516/

Last edited by u2slow; 11-10-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Ok great info now I got a heater understanding of what your saying on that wastegate deff might get in the way of that auto oil cooler its right there.

So I'm thinking the turbo upgrade may be a better idea once the manual swap is done. What do you think? Think I should wait till swaps done and do it?

All I did the head work and studs and gov spring for is to make it thag the trucks ready to swap the turbo and nothing else would have to be done for the motor to handle it.

But as for turbo needing different downpipe I believe it will also need a adapter flange.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Diesel Wrench

I looked at my WH1C again, and actuator is nowhere near where the trans cooler would be. And it has the same outlet as the H1C. It's a cheap turbo used. Never paid more than $200 for a hx35... wh1c was even less. They're essentially the same turbo.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran the hx35 with my set up and it would still get really hot 1600* plus. The stock h1c is easier to manage the egts auto trans needs at minimal 14 cm housing, I'm also at 1500 ft elevation, the spool up of the hx35 is fantastic, maybe a 35/40 hybrid just to help keep things cool. I'm in the process of doing a powerstroke intercooler install then I'm gonna run 5x14 from DAP and the h1c with 16 cm housing over a 69mm the kit is also from DAP

Old 11-11-2016, 05:11 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by MasterG73
I ran the hx35 with my set up and it would still get really hot 1600* plus.
Wow. Autos must be in a different league of EGTs. Didn't some factory 2ndgen autos use a 9cm HY35? I need a serious load and/or grade on my w250 - despite the HX35 and other mods - to even get to 1400° ... and i wont hold it there very long. 1000-1200° is all I can get running empty.

Here's a pic of what I've got planned for my Ramcharger. A '95 WH1c. Its going to be a basic daily-driver. I figure I can ease off my foot or grab a gear to manage EGTs.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo choice non Intercooled?-wh1c_ramcharger.jpg