1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Need help replacing ecm on 1993 d250

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help replacing ecm on 1993 d250

Help! I am 90% sure the ecm is bad on my d250 with Banks power pack. My speedo, cruse, ac, gear vendors overdrive and voltage meter are out and according to my research the ecm is the culprit. Is this something a novice shade-tree mechanic lady can replace? I can see the little devil perched behind the battery, is it just a case of unbolt, unplug and repeat? Has anyone done this? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes.

3 screws to pop the ECM out after unplugging the main harness connector, and you will be golden.

If you can't find an ECM (unlikely, as the 93 ECMs are easily found) then you can ground short the relevant pins off your harness ECM plug and get by.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:43 AM

I have had the same issue with my '92. I've only found rebuilders online and on ebay. If you can send it to them then it costs about $180 to $200 to be rebuilt. I haven't done it to mine yet as I use the truck nearly everyday. Since, I've installed an after market external voltage regulator, a manual overdrive switch to engage it, I plan to wire up a double relay to the A/C pressure switch to make the A/C work because all the other relays work. Only other thing I can't quite get wired up is the Anti-lock brakes and the wait to start light.

Either way you go I still recommend the extrenal voltage regulator so you can control the alternator output, depending on what kind of electronics you'll be using in the truck.

Originally Posted by andolyn
Help! I am 90% sure the ecm is bad on my d250 with Banks power pack. My speedo, cruse, ac, gear vendors overdrive and voltage meter are out and according to my research the ecm is the culprit. Is this something a novice shade-tree mechanic lady can replace? I can see the little devil perched behind the battery, is it just a case of unbolt, unplug and repeat? Has anyone done this? Any advice will be much appreciated!