1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

soon-to-be New Cummins owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soon-to-be New Cummins owner

I previously had a 6.0 liter comma it made me want to strangle myself. It also makes me a little leery without having a little help. About to buy a 93 d250 with the 5.9 liter. The ignition switch needs to be replaced, which is easy. But it also has an injector pump leak. How hard is it to replace seals, and is there anything else on this truck I need to look at before I buy?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Default My Experience

Look at the vacuum pump, also check the a/c system if it doesnt work by making sure the clutch spins freely, because replacing the a/c system costs about 1100. Also ask the owner if he has fixed the killer dowel pin. Besides that, I have owned my cummins for quite a while, and I have had no major issues with it. BTW if it is an automatic, make sure it isnt eaten alive because the cummins has so much torue it eats automatics on first gens

Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Thank you. I did but it. Only problem i see is the injector pump leaks. Truck runs smooth though. No issues with ac or transmission.