1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

518A Super build tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 518A Super build tranny

ok this one is simple..
I want to build a 518A tranny

if someone with some experience with these trannys could chime in it would be great! I don't know what to buy or where to find it.. all I see is listing for the 4RH...

I don't have lock up tho so I got to thing the tranny is different..

vendors are welcome..

Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't remember but I think 1stgen.org has a few write ups on the 518 non lock up and so does dieseltruckresource.com in first gen section. Cumminsforum.com might be another one.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good shift kit or valvebody with steel planetaries and a good converter ought to do it. On a hard launch with slicks you might break an input, but otherwise the basics should hold. Know of a 727 that held 609rwhp with that combo.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonQuartermile
Good shift kit or valvebody with steel planetaries and a good converter ought to do it. On a hard launch with slicks you might break an input, but otherwise the basics should hold. Know of a 727 that held 609rwhp with that combo.
so if its that simple to build on to handle everyday driving why did they not get built that way from the factory? I just don't understand factory short cuts...

Originally Posted by jdaivs1
Can't remember but I think 1stgen.org has a few write ups on the 518 non lock up and so does dieseltruckresource.com in first gen section. Cumminsforum.com might be another one.
ill check out some of the forums! thanks for the heads up!