1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Ve Fuel injector pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ve Fuel injector pump problems

Hello,

I'm new to the diesel bomber forums and I have a 1992 Dodge w250 that is my first project truck that I am trying to resurrect and restore from too many years of neglect and abuse from the 4 previous owners. Anyways the project seems too be coming along quite nicely until I started paying attention to a grinding noise coming from the front of my engine. I pulled out a mechanics stethoscope and pin pointed the sound to my injector pump timing gear. I pulled off the oil tube and saw that there were scratch marks on the back timing cover. As in this photo:

Today, I took apart my timing cover to get a closer look at what was going on. It turns out that I can move my fuel injector pump timing gear with the drive shaft of my VE injector pump fore and aft approximately 3-5mm and the fuel injection pump timing gear will clank against the back timing gear cover. I think I found what is making the awful grinding noise.

It looks like my injection pump has been replaced before. Maybe under the recall 605. so unfortunately I don't think mopar will be giving me a free injection pump Now I'm not sure what direction to go or what the best way to go about this is? Is this amount of play unusual for a VE injection pump? Do I just need to set the timing gear on a certain way? Or is this more criteria for, gulp, an expensive new injector pump which will require a bunch of special tools?? Please help I've been researching this and haven't really found anyone else having this issue. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Sounds like you will be changing a pump you might want to check the killer dowel pin too.

injection pump Dodge D250.pdf

diesel injection pump timing.pdf

Old 10-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Jet A Fuel:

Thanks for your quick reply brother and for the .pdf's. My KDP is still nicely in place after 228,000 miles but since I have everything opened up now I will definitely use this opportunity to tab it.

Last edited by Kingpin; 10-18-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to get a good stock replacement VE Fuel injector pump? Also, I been searching the forums in regards to what people are actually timing their VE pumps to and have been getting all kinds of different numbers, any suggestions here?

This seems to be the best posting I've found so far: http://bombedcummins.com/cummins-tec...12v-ve44-pump/

Last edited by Kingpin; 10-18-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Diesel Bomber

I think it is going to vary greatly on the response you get on timing, but I think it all comes down to different people are running different combinations some are pulling trucks like Diesel pap was saying he runs a lot of advance on his truck. Another person said theirs was cranked so far for pulling they shot ether in it to get it started.
Check with Tony at Mighty diesel or J Kidd at DAP they are both vendors on the site and are very knowledgeable. They can fix you up with a pump I would imagine and I have found they don't mind answering questions!!

Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Diesel Bomber

Not sure where your located but Genos garage has the specialty tools like the puller and the timing indicator tool. Genos is near Atlanta if that's close to you.
Check the vendors page here for their web address or PM them.

Diesel Bombers - Vendor Directory

Old 10-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i got a pump shop i use for pumps. they can rebuild your pump. put a 3200 spring in it while in there.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM

thanks again for the responses guys I'll certainly follow up with those vendors and get a feel for what's out there. I didn't realize Geno's garage was in Atlanta! That's not too terribly far away. I definitely need to start gathering the tools for the job.

Last edited by Kingpin; 10-18-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kingpin,

We're located minutes off of GA 400 at Exit 13 in Cumming, GA. While we don't have a retail location, you're welcome to stop by for tools and tech info.

We do have a couple of the specialty tools that will help make the job easier if you haven't already gotten started.