1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumbling

Hey all,

I had an account on here but somehow ended up with a new one? Anyway...this is not my 1st post...just a little FYI.

ANYWAY, some questions...but 1st the problem...

My '93 has started to "stumble" when I pull up to a stop but leave it in gear. It's not very bad UNLESS I have the AC or heater/defroster going. Then it gets very bad (if this were a gasser it would just kill the motor but the compression is keeping the motor running).
The truck runs perfectly normal above idle.

Now this started happening as a minor thing about 3 yrs. ago after replacing the tranny and TC but has gradually gotten much much worse. Now I'm worried about damaging the motor.

So what could be the cause?

Having talked to a couple of diesel mechs (1 of them at my local dealership) I have been told of a couple of possibilities.

1. The TC is either stuck in lock-up or THINKS it is in lock-up. This condition would be caused by some vavle or sensor inside the tranny (?).

2. My AC compressor clutch is going out. There is no abnormal noise coming from it. The stumble is much worse when the compressor clutch engages.

In fact....the only abnormal noise on the truck is a loud , hollow tick coming from the tranny area (as if the flex plate was cracked....which I replaced when I did the tranny & TC).

It should be noted that nearly everything under the hood is original with 234k + miles on it. I take meticulous care of my vehicles.
Also, I have no way to check the fuel pressure but all dash gauges indicate normal.

Any help would of course be greatly appreciated.
Terry