1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

He351cw turbo upgrade on 1st gen dodge

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default He351cw turbo upgrade on 1st gen dodge

I have a 93 cummins with auto, all the free pump mods, fuel pin, 3200 spring.
My egts can get really high fast when I am out playing! So i am looking for ways to control this. I have stock h1c and want to upgrade to he351cw with the 3rd gen manifold. I'm also looking to get a low pressure lift pump.
So will the he351cw make a difference in egts? And will the 3rd gen manifold be of any benefit or should I just stick with my stock one? And do you guys have any other suggestions for my 93? I eventually want to build it up and have a fun toy to play with but it's also a daily driver so I want it to last. Any input would be great, I am new to this stuff

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2nd gen manifolds flow better than the 3rd gens. The he351cw will be a lot cooler down low, and spool better, but I can't say for sure if it'll help on the top end. It flows more than the h1c so I can assume it'll be cooler up top but it also has a 9cm exhaust housing.

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good info

Good info here

Old 08-02-2015, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://youtu.be/TvVhMlpWBOU

A quick video of my build. He351cw & powerstroke ic with piping.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by oland_devo
https://youtu.be/TvVhMlpWBOU

A quick video of my build. He351cw & powerstroke ic with piping.
What mods did you have to do to keep your a/c condenser? I'm doing same swap with a power stroke intercooler that you did but mines a 5 speed

Old 11-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmarvin
What mods did you have to do to keep your a/c condenser? I'm doing same swap with a power stroke intercooler that you did but mines a 5 speed
It took some modding for sure. Pull the bumper, grille, lower valence, ic, the ac condenser and tranny cooler (if auto). Now start measuring where you will be mounting the ac condenser. You will have to mod the original brackets and hack into the front faring or front clip, whatever it's called. I used some 1" or 1.5" hard rubber spacers so the ac condenser had space between the rad. Than do the same thing with the ic after you have a solid mounting position for the ac cooler. Lots of mounting and removing and re mounting. I had to add a piece here and there with the Welder and scrap steel, than re drill a hole here or there. You will also have to mod your grille. I used a flapper disk and shaved off a bunch of plastic from the inside of the grille. A couple of the center pieces mounts got zipped off too. The powerstroke ic is beefy. I followed some ideas I found on a forum for it but for the most part just made it up as I went along. A Welder is a must. Chop saw, drill, bits, multiple sizes of bolts and nuts. Lock washers and nylocks. Spacers. Pieces from an old bike tube for rubber dampening as the ic will sit on the frame rails. It's deffinately not an overnight project. Prepare for multiple weekends of fitting and fabing.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by oland_devo
It took some modding for sure. Pull the bumper, grille, lower valence, ic, the ac condenser and tranny cooler (if auto). Now start measuring where you will be mounting the ac condenser. You will have to mod the original brackets and hack into the front faring or front clip, whatever it's called. I used some 1" or 1.5" hard rubber spacers so the ac condenser had space between the rad. Than do the same thing with the ic after you have a solid mounting position for the ac cooler. Lots of mounting and removing and re mounting. I had to add a piece here and there with the Welder and scrap steel, than re drill a hole here or there. You will also have to mod your grille. I used a flapper disk and shaved off a bunch of plastic from the inside of the grille. A couple of the center pieces mounts got zipped off too. The powerstroke ic is beefy. I followed some ideas I found on a forum for it but for the most part just made it up as I went along. A Welder is a must. Chop saw, drill, bits, multiple sizes of bolts and nuts. Lock washers and nylocks. Spacers. Pieces from an old bike tube for rubber dampening as the ic will sit on the frame rails. It's deffinately not an overnight project. Prepare for multiple weekends of fitting and fabing.
Ok thanks for info