1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Rebuild kit recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild kit recomendations

Hey guys, new to the site I tried searching but did not find any good information on the subject. I have a 92 12 valve that I am going to stuff into an Excursion anyways I am looking at rebuild kits and they are all over the place as far as price goes, so my question is what should I look for in a rebuild kit, what makes one kit more desirable than another. I am trying to educate myself on a rebuild but I have to do it pretty quickly as the 6.0 that is in the Excursion is a massive turd that has sucked enough money out of my wallet. Anyways I am trying to discern if I should just get the cheapest kit available to get all the gaskets I need and then buy the other quality parts or are there kits that have all the quality parts I need.

As second question that I have is that the truck that I picked up had some cannibalization done to it, so it is missing the fuel pump. My question is, since I have to get a new pump is it best to stick with a VE pump or are there upgrades to other pumps that are better? I know a P pump is desirable but I don't really need that kind of power or expense, but I have read that some people swap the VE pumps for VP pumps and vice versa, I was just wondering the pros and cons.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 PM

OK so my search fu is getting a little better, I did not think to include the later model 12 valve form in my search anyway I found a post recommending Enterprise Engine Performance - The Place for Diesel Parts & Performance anyone have experience with this kit?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by lowbush
OK so my search fu is getting a little better, I did not think to include the later model 12 valve form in my search anyway I found a post recommending Enterprise Engine Performance - The Place for Diesel Parts & Performance anyone have experience with this kit?
I used interstate mcbee kits upper and lower and a cummins head gasket from Jeff at Mumau diesel. Its close to complete. Your pistons and bores might be ok like mine were, so rings bearings and gaskets.

Jeffs a good guy