1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!!!

Alright guys so here it is, I have a 1991.5 250 and I have a few problems that I cannot figure out. First, my transmission (G360) was rebuilt about a year ago and today it has started to act up a little on me and when I did the rebuild before I could not find parts for it to save my life I had to buy a 2wd tranny and swap everything over to my 4wd main shaft for it to work and yes I had to use some of the old parts that came out of my scattered trans. Where can I find parts for these trans and is it worth it to build it again it was a royal pain in my a**. i also think if i have the trans out it would be a good time to change the clutch out. now for the second thing. I cannot keep the front end under this truck I have replaced the steering gear box 3 times in the last 2 years and it always wants to come off of the mounting bracket that is hooked to the frame i have replaced the drag link and tie rod ends and I still get bad vibrations up front (has been aligned a few times too) at about 35+ MPH steering is really sloppy as well but everything is new and tight. And I almost forgot, Not that it bothers me to much but my water in fuel, BRAKE, anti lock and my wait to start light flash on and off all the time while the truck is on any suggestions on that? thanks appreciate all the help!!!!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

you could swap in a nv4500 for around $800 or a g56 or nv5600 for around $1200 but you will need to talk to southbend about a clutch. these first gens frames crack where the gearbox is mounted that may be your problem either that or you have some heavy *** tires wearing out your truck

Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Im not sure if this you problem but I had some worpped rotors and that gave me a bad vibration got new ones cause it was time for brakes and bam vibe was gone like I said though not sure if that is your problem

Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys and my frame isn't cracked but that extension plate was at one point and I'm just runnin stock tires on it thanks for the help I'll have to look at my rotors

Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993firstgennewbie
you could swap in a nv4500 for around $800 or a g56 or nv5600 for around $1200 but you will need to talk to southbend about a clutch. these first gens frames crack where the gearbox is mounted that may be your problem either that or you have some heavy *** tires wearing out your truck
WOW where are you finding the trans at those prices? That is core prices in my world. both will need more than just the trans "thrown in" to work, gonna need bell housings, block plate, starter and more.

Your best bet is to switch to a nv4500 as it will be the cheapest and easy to do. I have been looking for parts for my g360 also and you are right parts are a bitch, can find bearings and seals but nothing in the way of a 4x4 main shaft only 2wd ones.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I agree it took me 8 months to rebuild mine just because parts were hard to find I had to buy a 2wd transmission and gut it and switch everything to my 4wd main shaft, I wish I would have know about the nv4500 before I started the project project total was around $6,000 once I was finished I was buying parts from NY city I bought just a speedo sensor for $585.00. Stupid idea I don't recommend rebuilding one of those to anyone just junk it and fab up and burn down!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Rollincoal91 do you still have parts from your left over getrag im looking for the shifter idk what the for sure name is for it but the rod that comes out of the top of the hat part of the tranny for shifting if so can you sell it to me

Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys should try Zumbrota Bearing and Gear for G360 parts. Best prices i've found.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

good lookin out im gonna see if he has the shifter first im in no rush cause if I can help a fellow bomber out by buying his shifter then he has a little money to help with his rebuild kit and parts I dont see this shifters going bad mine just got dropped with the tranny so it snapped

Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an extra shifter stub (the part that comes out of the hat) pm me.