1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

FL: The UNcommon build (low and slow cruiser)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL: The UNcommon build (low and slow cruiser)

Warning there will NOT be any lift kits or mud tires or anything common in this build , where I live we don't need 4wheel drive , I decided to build this truck a lot different more of a rusto-mod, love or hate it , Im posting here in hopes to help people with the question that I had and the solutions that I came up with .

******* great way to start a build thread WITH pics that wont load... back to the drawing board

day 1

Last edited by hotrodjag; 08-17-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Diesel Fan

89 d250 88k , as of day one

good : new starter , battery, various new ac parts , new front brakes ,
bad : windows don't work at all , a fuel leak of some kind
ugly : pic says a thousand words

future plans will be : learn as much as possible about this completely new to me truck , figure out can be done and what should not be done, do all maintenance and get truck in tip top shape as my build plans come together .

Old 08-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Diesel Fan

first things first , removed the topper and put in storage , and spent some serious time cleaning it up , now that I know what I have to work with my plans are starting to evolve .

Old 08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Diesel Fan

now that the trucks good and cleaned up I stopped over at a well know Cummins. guy here in town and he pointed me in the right direction as far as drive train maintenance and up keep , he showed me where the fuel leak was coming from and what to do to fix it and gave me a few warnings and thing to keep and eye one , (ie: front end crap) .

few months went by with no aesthetic or any other changes , paint is a mixture of single stage and bc/cc and is in no waxable shape , what to do .....

weekend project was to fix the windows and tint them . so I took the window regulators out and found out I need one new window motor and one new gear , I sand blasted the window regulator because they were all but rusted stiff , parts from local part store and put it all back together , works great

Last edited by hotrodjag; 08-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Diesel Fan

so my first FUN mod will be a turbo back exhaust , my stock stuff is WEAK ,

I chose
diamond eye 4" down pipe
mbrp 8" miter cut stack
10' 4" pipe
2 4" 90s
and 1 4" band clamp

can out good and for less than 350$ im super happy, lost ALOT of torq but this is a hauler or a racer , everything was new except for the stack which I bought from the same guy I got the new pipe and 90s from .

pics will follow

Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Diesel Fan

research continues about possible suspension options <

I want to have the old school shop truck look , rustic paint (NOT PATINA) more like a distressed look , lowered stance and large newer type wheels 20-22s not sure , also will be building my own bumper and tucking the reese hitch up under the bed more

Last edited by hotrodjag; 08-17-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Diesel Fan

months go by and I have gotten almost no where with the suspension . I have read a few guys ideas (move hangers in rear and heat front springs blah blah seems as though there is no aftermarket support for lowering a 4k axles 1st gen ,

time to put my vw restoration project on hold and modify my upper and lower front control arms and get this thing riding right .

first I need to get the back lowered . I spoke with a few leaf spring shop and decided flipping the axle was the way for my .

Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Diesel Fan

above is how the rear sits with the axle flipped . lowered the rear about 6" and you also may notice the paint has taken a turn for the worse

Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

the pics aren't working man

Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah I know they are not working and I can figure out why

Ian

Quick Reply: FL: The UNcommon build (low and slow cruiser)