1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Jerky Steerin

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky Steerin

For about the last month the steering on this truck has been whacko. It has almost put my dad and I in a few wrecks. Youll be driving along and its fine. Go to make a minor correction and boom near lane change. Its like you come up against a stop and then over take it. Sometimes worse than others and more recently better. My dad put some ER (Energy Release) into the power steering pump and that helped, for awhile. It still has issues and cant seem to find why. I put the truck on a lift and went through the front end steering components. Everything seems to be tight, no rattles. There is a little bit of play in the coupler from the steering shaft to the box but nothing more than expected from a 91 truck. I was suggested an issue with a pressure valve? Anyway, I dont want to just start throwing parts at this thing because we all know how well that works.
Thanks!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Nobody?anybody?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:26 AM

ok then

Old 08-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Beer

my truck does that too and I have replaced all of my front end components except the tie rod and that coupler. my coupler is bad and has about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel. They sell a rebuild kit for that coupler down at any local NAPA store got mine today ill keep you posted on if it helps out the steering at all, hope this was some help for your

Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Check the front U-Joints. The will turn fine while going straight but any slight turn and the can lock up and fell like your being pulled off the road