1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Issue with throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with throttle sticking

I'll try and make this as clear as possible. I'm new to these VE pumps and I am not sure what some of the components are called.

Yesterday, I drove down south. Where I live the outside temperature averages maybe mid 60s-and that's what it was yesterday. I got to where I was going about 100 miles away and it was in the mid 80's down there.

Went into a four wheeling park and started putting around a little bit, and my throttle started sticking about maybe 200 rpm or so from idle. The pedal wasn't coming all the way back up and it also felt tougher than normal, I think.

I pulled off to the side, opened the hood, went to the linkage connected to the pump, and pulled the throttle all the way shut, shut down the motor, and let the truck cool for a few minutes.

After a bit, I got back inside, fired the motor up, all was good and normal till about 10 minutes in and it started happening again, so again, I pulled off to the side and pulled the throttle all the way shut at the pump, and left the hood open and let everything cool again. I took off, and it happened again and it was time to go, so I left the park.

It might just be me and the heat maybe had nothing to do with it. But after I got on the street to come home it was perfectly fine. It was almost like the spring on the pump didn't have enough pressure to return it all the way.

I know these trucks have hard accelerator pedal feel, but I figure maybe I should ask here because I haven't really driven another first gen, but the pedal on my truck feels like it is exceptionally hard to push down. Nothing to compare it to, but I wouldn't think dodge would've sent these things out like this from the factory. Any trip over 30 or 40 miles and your really wishin you had cruise control.

Truck is an '89 w250 all stock, auto, just turned 110,000 miles yesterday.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

the only thing i can think of is the accelerator cable that goes from the pedal to the fuel pump. The strands inside the cable may be breaking and starting to break causing the pedal to stick until you pull the pedal back up.
Thats one of the draw backs of the year motors like you and me have. I have already had mine replaced because it was sticking.
Just a thought, hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check all the linkage ends at the pump they have a ball and socket on them, from the factory they had nylon ***** and when they wear it gets sloppy and hard. Their is an upgrade kit that comes with all new steel ***** and sockets and return springs. Also check the shaft they hook to as it has 2 nylon bushings in it that ware. All toll in mine with the kit and bushings i am in it like 50 bucks and it is smooth as silk. A bad cable would do it all the time.