1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this?

So there's a 1990 Dodge power ram w250 (cummins) for sale in my town. I'm extremely interested in it and have gone to see/test drive it already. His original asking price was 6,500$, I offered 5,000$ which he said he would take. I'm not sure its really worth it for this truck. Here's a list of things that I think affect the value:

Cons:
-Rough looking paint
-Minimal rust coating on some undercarriage parts
-There is some wear in the interior (Door panel is falling off on one side, handle is also loose)
-The gear gauge does not function (You have to count the clicks)
-Not sure the cruise control works(The cruise control module in the cabin is partially hanging off)
-The hood unlock in the cabin was taken out (There's a wire on the outside to pop the hood)
-Crack in the grille
-No ram hood ornament
-There is a small valve cover leak
-It did not crank on the first try(It did on the 3rd, but it was parked on a slope I'm not sure if this actually affects the fuel pump?, it has been cold these past few days and he said he hadn't started it since a week ago)
-No hub caps
-The braking seemed odd (This was the first diesel I've driven, so it most likely felt weird)
-Will need new tires

Pros:
-The engine looked really clean
-The turbo had no visible oil leaks
-It had no odd sounds
-Everything "looked" mechanically sound
-Power windows/door locks
-4x4(Not sure if this works, he said it has been working ever since, but I did not test it)
-His dad has been the original owner
-Does not need any suspension repair
-There were no hiccups in the transmission while driving it
-I did a 15-30 roll, it got up and went like it should
-straight axle
-Power(The son/seller said he used it to pull most 4x4 trucks out of the snow and mud in the winter)
-Reliability(The seller said him and his dad have had no problems whatsoever with it since came off the showroom floor)
-Fuel economy

Questions:
-Is 5,000 a fair price for this?
-If I do decide to go look at it again, what should I look for specifically?
-I think it has the "4-speed" automatic, is this a reliable transmission(Not sure what the model of it is)
-Should I bring it to our local mechanic, or have the local mechanic come look at it?
-Overall should I get this truck? I don't want to purchase something I won't be able to drive or have to sink money into right away(Huge mechanical problems)

Thanks

Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 05-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rough looking paint
-There is some wear in the interior (Door panel is falling off on one side, handle is also loose)-interior panels are hard to find in good shape.
-The gear gauge does not function (You have to count the clicks)-No big deal, only needs a nylon cord or new little "box with the cord in it-30 minute repair after you have it.
-Not sure the cruise control works(The cruise control module in the cabin is partially hanging off)
-The hood unlock in the cabin was taken out (There's a wire on the outside to pop the hood)-Ghetto... what else is jerry rigged?
-Crack in the grille-might find another at a pick a part for $50
-No ram hood ornament-This will be a tough one, maybe eBay. Never find it in a u-pull it.
-There is a small valve cover leak-$40 repair and 30 mins.

-It did not crank on the first try(It did on the 3rd, but it was parked on a slope I'm not sure if this actually affects the fuel pump?, it has been cold these past few days and he said he hadn't started it since a week ago). I don't buy that excuse should start right up.
-No hub caps=can find on eBay.
-The braking seemed odd (This was the first diesel I've driven, so it most likely felt weird)
-Will need new tires $900 or so

This truck should have a 3 speed automatic, no overdrive. OD didn't come in until 1991.5. It's a 727 Torqueflite. Considered one of the best trannys ever built. The thing I found about these old trucks is they WILL break down and CAN be $ pits.

I bought a 1990 Ram about a year ago and it's left me stranded twice and I've spent maybe $2000 in repairs, and it needs work about once every other month. I love the truck. The engine mostly. But even though it only has 111k miles, it's old. Stuff ages, it's undependable, and I will never trust it. I fixed various things the original owner neglected but new things keep coming up. I will never buy an old vehicle again. The 1991 F250 I had a few years back gave me the wrong impression on old low mileage trucks. Never had to work on it the year I owned it. The 1990 Ram is different. I spend about $200 a month or so at least on repairs. It won't make it as a dependable daily driver (currently not running for about 2 weeks and still don't know what's wrong with it). As soon as I get it running again I'm selling it. I have no use for an extra truck. I bought a new 2013 F250. Had the old Ram been more dependable I'd love to keep it instead.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by metriccar
Rough looking paint
-There is some wear in the interior (Door panel is falling off on one side, handle is also loose)-interior panels are hard to find in good shape.
-The gear gauge does not function (You have to count the clicks)-No big deal, only needs a nylon cord or new little "box with the cord in it-30 minute repair after you have it.
-The hood unlock in the cabin was taken out (There's a wire on the outside to pop the hood)-Ghetto... what else is jerry rigged?
-Crack in the grille-might find another at a pick a part for $50
-No ram hood ornament-This will be a tough one, maybe eBay. Never find it in a u-pull it.
-There is a small valve cover leak-$40 repair and 30 mins.

-It did not crank on the first try(It did on the 3rd, but it was parked on a slope I'm not sure if this actually affects the fuel pump?, it has been cold these past few days and he said he hadn't started it since a week ago). I don't buy that excuse should start right up.
-No hub caps=can find on eBay.
-Will need new tires $900 or so

This truck should have a 3 speed automatic, no overdrive. OD didn't come in until 1991.5. It's a 727 Torqueflite. Considered one of the best trannys ever built. The thing I found about these old trucks is they WILL break down and CAN be $ pits.

I bought a 1990 Ram about a year ago and it's left me stranded twice and I've spent maybe $2000 in repairs, and it needs work about once every other month. I love the truck. The engine mostly. But even though it only has 111k miles, it's old. Stuff ages, it's undependable, and I will never trust it. I fixed various things the original owner neglected but new things keep coming up. I will never buy an old vehicle again. The 1991 F250 I had a few years back gave me the wrong impression on old low mileage trucks. Never had to work on it the year I owned it. The 1990 Ram is different. I spend about $200 a month or so at least on repairs. It won't make it as a dependable daily driver (currently not running for about 2 weeks and still don't know what's wrong with it). As soon as I get it running again I'm selling it. I have no use for an extra truck. I bought a new 2013 F250. Had the old Ram been more dependable I'd love to keep it instead.
Most aren't like that. I have had mine for 18 years and it hasn't failed me once. New trucks can be worse with all the electronic BS.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Diesel Fan

I think I'm going to pass on this one because I don't think he'll have any other takers unless they are really hunting for a 1st gen. Here's some pictures I forgot to add:

Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Diesel Fan

Pretty rough for the price at least around here.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

id pass for that price

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Diesel Fan

I just found two more I'm interested in. not sure if I can turn them around. i'll post the add on craigslist. I need to know if either is really worth the trouble and price?

Add #1: 91 dodge ram 2500 diesel
Add #2: 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 burns oil (This on burns oil, not sure if that's an easy fix or a cheap fix)
Add #3: http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4466905563.html Theres this one to, but only if I can convince my mom and dad to let me own a stick shift.
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Last edited by BigWes; 05-13-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the first gens are kinda high on asking price for a 2 wheel drive truck I payed $4700 for my 90 4x4 almost four years ago now. Around my neck of the woods you can find a 2 wheel drive first gen for around $3000 even with that low of mileage. And yeah that tan truck looks rough as hell for $5000. Just remember everyone has a second gen cummins not everyone has a first gen I love driving my head turner. Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Diesel Fan

1991 Dodge ram 250 Cummings diesel. Here is this 1st gen I just found. Is it worth 9k?

Quick Reply: Should I buy this?