1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Just a little ol' build thread...

Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Just a little ol' build thread...

I'm going to put the I/C Cummins 6BT, A518, transfer case and running gear from this 91.5 low-miles but greasy, rattling rust bucket:

Name:  DSC01354_zpsc19fc876.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  86.3 KB

...into this here Ramcharger.

Name:  photo25_zps02c5363a.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  122.7 KB

This'll be the build thread.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Step 1: Start tearing the Ramcharger down. The interior was already completely gutted save for the seats, steering column and some crazy little digital gauge cluster, so that part was easy. After about an hour with some hand tools, I had the bumper, hood and entire front clip off. Couldn't have been more than 30 or so bolt holding it all together.

Name:  photo33_zps3cd2f2fd.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  108.6 KB

Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Next, the gasser and its transmission, transfer case, axles and linkage/wiring was evicted. Scrubbed the frame down a little and slapped on some Rustoleum to seal it off from any future rust.

Name:  photo34_zpsf66e5697.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  104.5 KB

Old 05-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin good. I am a big fan of ramchargers.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Rebuilt the W250's wiring harness to undo the previous owner's butchery. While I was in there I went ahead and deleted the grid heater wires and relay. Clipped 15 (18OR/BK) and 16 (18YL/BK) at the computer, cut the loom off of the harness and pulled it all out before re-wrapping it. It came out clean if anybody needs it; PM me. This morning I got the harness hung and the interior plumbed for heat and wired. Also got all the guts from the W250 doors swapped into the Ramcharger ('87s have subtle but important differences in wiring/connectors, so the '91.5 guts had to be used or I'd need to cut and splice a bunch of stuff). I also have a pair of door lock actuators and linkages up for grabs.

Name:  photo35_zpsce64c7a8.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  photo36_zpse8f267cc.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Got the dash in. Just need to stow a few wires, tie in the back speakers, recover the seats and order some carpet. I'll probably put sound deadener of some sort down before that last interior step. I'm thrilled LMC truck finally has a catalog for our trucks. It's going to make this whole revolution so much less painful.

Name:  photo37_zps2aa2d56e.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  photo38_zps9031332e.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  60.3 KB

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Between becoming a glorified ask.com and being full to the brim with the same old questions that get beat to death, this forum has really started sucking lately. I'll start a build thread over at Ramcharger Central, Cummins Forum or DTR if anybody's interested.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the.beard
Between becoming a glorified ask.com and being full to the brim with the same old questions that get beat to death, this forum has really started sucking lately. I'll start a build thread over at Ramcharger Central, Cummins Forum or DTR if anybody's interested.
Let us know where you end up. I have one going over at DTR.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by the.beard
It's only going to get worse. It seems like the folks asking questions Web wide these days have no respect for the knowledge, what it took to gain it or why it's important. They just want an answer. Pretty sad considering we were a country with pride in independence and now a good bit of us are a:to snobby to get our hands dirty or b: to lazy to learn. While it shows itself in forums or on Facebook I think there's a deeper more troubling issue deep down.
http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

Sorry For Off Topic rant.
Rant over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mknittle
Let us know where you end up. I have one going over at DTR.
I'm leaning towards DTR. That's probably the most technical forum I've come across.

Originally Posted by mysterync
It's only going to get worse. It seems like the folks asking questions Web wide these days have no respect for the knowledge, what it took to gain it or why it's important. They just want an answer. Pretty sad considering we were a country with pride in independence and now a good bit of us are a:to snobby to get our hands dirty or b: to lazy to learn. While it shows itself in forums or on Facebook I think there's a deeper more troubling issue deep down.
Profoundly Disconnected

Sorry For Off Topic rant.
Rant over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
For real. If I see one more "should I buy this", "how much HP do I have" or "speedo broke, no overdrive! HELP!" thread, I'm going to puke razorblades. The Duramax and Power Stroke guys have twice the problems, half of the stupid threads. It's f***ing embarrassing.

Last edited by the.beard; 05-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just a little ol' build thread...