1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

4WD ing a 2WD Dodge Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91 7three
It doesnt seem like it'd be too difficult of a conversion but definitely time consuming. Front end would probably be the hardest part of it because i think you would have to drill the frame for the shackles and what not.
The front isn't that bad. The front spring hangers use the two rivet holes in the front cross member So just drill out the rivets and use grade 8 bolts. once that is lined up marking the rear shackle pivots is pretty easy.

My plan(at this point is to remove the 2WD transmission cross member and Temporarily leave the stock motor mounts (for alignment). Then do the transmission swap. Mount that up good and solid. Next remove the 2WD control arms sand cross member and replace the motor mount cross member with the 3 Piece one I made. then do the front springs.

PS I am swapping out the 727 for a Getrag. so that adds a little to the mix That and a few "While I an at its"

Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you'll be very happy with the swap when you get done. might look into swapping the diff gears to a lower ratio. i don't know what you have but i do know some of the non- overdrive trans trucks had really high rear end gears to help compensate. like 3.07 high.
couple that with the getrag and you can probably run 120 and have really low rpms cruising the interstate which would be fine for fuel mileage but not very desirable if you want to tow anything.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by six speed
i think you'll be very happy with the swap when you get done. might look into swapping the diff gears to a lower ratio. i don't know what you have but i do know some of the non- overdrive trans trucks had really high rear end gears to help compensate. like 3.07 high.
couple that with the getrag and you can probably run 120 and have really low rpms cruising the interstate which would be fine for fuel mileage but not very desirable if you want to tow anything.
Yeah the rear in the 2WD is a 3.07. I am trading that for the 3.54 that matches the front, the only down side is I lose my power lock. but those aren't hard to find.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my 84 gmc i have a 4l60 someone thought it would hold up. was looking for a dodge trans 4x4 passengers side drop. they are hard to find i mean real hard, only luck i had was out of running trucks but then you're paying for another truck/cummins and it was at least 5k. so because of that i found a 4l80e/205 that will replace the 4l60. if i where you dont start this project till you find all the parts you need

Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Irish_Alley
in my 84 gmc i have a 4l60 someone thought it would hold up. was looking for a dodge trans 4x4 passengers side drop. they are hard to find i mean real hard, only luck i had was out of running trucks but then you're paying for another truck/cummins and it was at least 5k. so because of that i found a 4l80e/205 that will replace the 4l60. if i where you dont start this project till you find all the parts you need
Good advice. That's the best way to do it. It's also the time to buy new spring bushings and replace any worn parts.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 92 automatic 4x4 with rotted cab. I just purchased a 93 2x4 with getrag 5 speed. When I do my swap over, make the 93 a 4x4 using the 92 front axle. Will the auto transfer case work or will I have to find a different one?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

this is what i was talking about. from what i remember the auto's are 23 splines and the manual's are 29, do your homework before committing to anything. you can swap the input shaft on the tcase but you should also need an adapter to the trans. then you might also need a output shaft shaft for the trans.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

this is what i was talking about. from what i remember the auto's are 23 splines and the manual's are 29, do your homework before committing to anything. you can swap the input shaft on the tcase but you should also need an adapter to the trans. then you might also need a output shaft shaft for the trans. so it might be cheaper to get a 4x4 trans and t-case for your ap then sell the other stuff.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Irish_Alley
this is what i was talking about. from what i remember the auto's are 23 splines and the manual's are 29, do your homework before committing to anything. you can swap the input shaft on the tcase but you should also need an adapter to the trans. then you might also need a output shaft shaft for the trans.
That is what I have read. This may help.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...ighlight=NP205

Last edited by mknittle; 04-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks that was good info. I have access to a 29 spline from a buddy who has a junk yard. Has a 94 4x4 with complete drive train in it. So I just swap him mine for that one and call it a day.

Quick Reply: 4WD ing a 2WD Dodge Cummins?