1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injector/turbo recomendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Injector/turbo recomendation?

Hello, I know this has been gone over before but I'm still looking for opinions. Since I bought my 91.5 it felt extremely anemic. Almost literally wouldn't get out of its own way, pulling a trailer was a joke. I bought a used 8 blade hx35 and went looking for runaway on the fuel screw and I'll have to say the truck is a completely different animal now, but still not impressive by a long shot. I never did find runaway and the fuel screw is bottomed out with the safety collar removed and I adjusted the starwheel and smoke screw appropriately. I'm pushing close to 30 psi on the hx35 and it is almost impossible to get egts much above 1000 degrees pre turbo. Fuel pressure is okay, going to do piston lift pump soon though. I do tow frequently and occasionally heavy, sometimes close to 15k. While keeping in mind I also would like to eventually upgrade to a 62/65/12 or 14, I would like to know if its possible to get a set of injectors to work good with the 62/65 and I can turn the fuel screw back out to not be too much for hx35 right now, if that makes any sense? If it make any difference truck probably has more than 200k on it, no idea to be sure though. All opinions appreciated thank ya.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv been woundering the same about what to run to just want some more I'm running almost the exact same setup as you tow about the same to camper dump trailers
Going to a m&h 4 pin and timing device when more come in tho still unsher on what turbo next

Old 02-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HX35's are tougher than most people think, I ran my 95 at 433rwhp and 42psi for a while with the HX, having a big exhaust housng helps. I'd go with 5x14 injectors, or 5x16s if you want to be adventureous. Anything bigger will haze. Intercooled trucks have sissy injectors from the factory, you should be in EGT problem range with the big sticks

Also make sure to watch coolant temp with more power when towing, as it can rise pretty fast with a stock radiator and bumped HP.