1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Ve pump tuning and other bits.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ve pump tuning and other bits.....

Hi
I have a 98 and a 99 cummins 6bt engine. Both have ve pumps, 12v, and put out about 150 bhp.

I want to tune them to above 260 bhp, but not increase revs if possible, as its a marine use.

Can anyone give me a list of best changes.

I am assuming it will involve tuning the ve pump and replacing injectors, possibly also increasing the boost on the turbo?

I am new to this engine so any advise would be welcome!
Thanks

Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Hard one to answer considering marine applications can be anything from a little to a lot different from the motor vehicle applications.
160HP is your standard 1st gen power output which makes me wonder about your VE injection pumps at 150. Your engines may just be "detuned" like the 1st gens are and you can gain quite a bit of power just by turning up the injection pump. As the governor is set by spring tension, your RPM will not change unless you mess with it our the throttle linkage.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand to be corrected but i thought first gen engines where all pretty much the same. when the isb came out they did a very special engine, the qsb, that was destined for marine use.

I am also a bit confused as to the rating of the engine, they are out of dafs, so i am assuming its metric hp not american hp as per factory spec. as such i assume its base spec.

that being said recommendations on best results regarding tweaking the pump and changing the injectors would be appreciated, not forgetting waste pump on turbo. I am happy to learn from others experience on this!
Any other known problems and mods would also be welcome...
thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few ways to adjust the pump here.. You can get the Governor spring and Fuel pin fairly cheap online. I've heard Denny T is the best for a fuel pin because he uses hardened steel.

Last edited by 1stgenctd; 01-21-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil's
I stand to be corrected but i thought first gen engines where all pretty much the same. when the isb came out they did a very special engine, the qsb, that was destined for marine use.

I am also a bit confused as to the rating of the engine, they are out of dafs, so i am assuming its metric hp not american hp as per factory spec. as such i assume its base spec.

that being said recommendations on best results regarding tweaking the pump and changing the injectors would be appreciated, not forgetting waste pump on turbo. I am happy to learn from others experience on this!
Any other known problems and mods would also be welcome...
thanks
There are quite a few "possible" differences. Injection pump, injectors, head, pistons, and cam are common things that can be different. That being said, tunes that apply to an automotive application may not or can not apply to a marine, stationary, or industrial application. Even among automotive applications there are differences depending on what the engine was installed in.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

that sound really low hp for a set of 6b's, what is serial #'s, or cpl #
90% of the marine application do not have ve rotary pump, the have cav or another type.
as for horsepower on marines, if you increase the horsepower, you need to add more cooling, such as heat exchanger, after cooler, on your eingine, you probably have the old whic wet turbo, need to upgrade to the hx40m, ect, ect, when I get a serial number, i can help you out further