Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I was coming home from work this morning and all of a sudden my headlights turn off but all my markers and dash lights are still on. I replaced the headlight switch about a month ago with a BWD switch the plug was not melted. ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Default Headlights issues

I was coming home from work this morning and all of a sudden my headlights turn off but all my markers and dash lights are still on. I replaced the headlight switch about a month ago with a BWD switch the plug was not melted. It wasn't the bumps in the road when I finally found the side of the road my headlights were still flickering on and off where should I start looking is it maybe a relay
Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

View Member's Albums View Member's Youtube Account

Yes, check the relay. Then I would start checking the wiring from the headlights back, and see if you find a wire rubbing against something or a short.
Flickering on and off sounds like a loose ground or ground issue.

97cummins's Sig:
Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 AM
Diesel Fan

I will check it out in the morning thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shovelhead87 View Post
...when I finally found the side of the road my headlights were still flickering on and off...
Not a relay. If a relay goes, the lights don't flicker. You already got some sound advice; checking the wiring for an intermittent ground is a good idea. I'd wager your new switch failed, though. Borg Warner (BWD) used to make high-quality parts before they were bought out by SMP Global. Now that switch you just replaced is Chinese-made and unreliable at best. I've had two BWD VSS failures in as many months on the second gen.

Just something to chew on while you chase wires.

the.beard's Sig:'92 Cummins Ramcharger 4x4
Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

When I had headlight problems it was the highbeam/signal switch in the column. I didn't have time or $$ to get a replacement, so I broke out the relevant wires from the switch and extended them to an oldschool floor mounted pushbutton.

I still havent changed the column switch....

u2slow's Sig:93 W250 Club 6BTA/5spd/3.54....3" lift, Dana 80 swap, shackle flipped 2ndgen leafs, HX35 & 5x.012 sticks, 4" pipe, 33"s on 3rdgen wheels
84 Ramcharger D250[project]... 6BT/5spd/3.07...
90 D250 6BT/5spd/3.54[/size]
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
When I had headlight problems it was the highbeam/signal switch in the column. I didn't have time or $$ to get a replacement, so I broke out the relevant wires from the switch and extended them to an oldschool floor mounted pushbutton.

I still havent changed the column switch....
Listen to this guy ^. I did this before I had problems with the column switch. Heads off the BS at the pass and it's so easy a woman could do it.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Diesel Fan

It's been 3 days and I have had no issues after I changed the switch. Going to run through the wires and grounds just to be safe this weekend

submit to reddit