1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Ideal setup/tips for safe winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal setup/tips for safe winter driving?

Hello!

I had a fun adventure when I went to the gym this morning. A snow storm was rolling in and by the time I left the gym to head home, there was about 3" of fresh snow on the ground.

On the way home driving through side streets, there were two occasions where stopping at a stop sign/accelerating (slowly...) the truck slid sideways! Luckily no one was moving at the other ends of the 4-way stop otherwise things could have gotten even sillier. The second time it happened, the rear tires had dropped into the dip before the curb on the side of the road and they were spinning pretty bad. It took about a minute to get enough traction to roll out of it and get back on track.

The snow was coming down pretty bad by then and had white-out conditions on the road... So after making it home with the dodge, I decided to fire up my old blazer to drive to work. The blazer slides a bit here and there but have always had great results through snow/rain/mud/etc often even while still in 2wd.

The truck info should be loaded in sig. If I'm not mistaken the tires are 285/65/R17 and are BFG AT load range E. I wanted to stick with the E's to aid in hauling. In the future I'd like to upgrade to at least 33's, potentially 35's with a leveling kit up front.

What suggestions do you guys have for safe, stable winter driving through snowy (and then icy..) conditions?

The truck was in 2wd this morning and because I was so close to home I didn't want to hop out, engage hubs, hit 4wd only to be home a minute later.

Will 4wd help greatly in the snow? This is my first year with the dodge and am a bit used to the squatted weight of the blazer which seems to help greatly with traction.

Aside from 4wd.. I was considering airing down the load range E tires. From summer-time to now I've been running 65-80PSI in the rears and 45PSI in the fronts.

Also I'm sure the unloaded longbed is playing a part in traction loss. I've heard of guys loading up 500-800lbs worth of sandbags, concrete, etc in the bed centered on the axle.

Thoughts? Appreciate any and all suggestions. I don't want to have to keep my dodge parked all year, even though I love my blazer. I'd like to be able to safely drive around town without issues - if this morning's event happened at a busy intersection, things could have gotten nasty real fast.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no problems in mine if im in 4x4. 3 inches or 3 ft. got to remember your in a pickup. I rather drive my front wheel drive buick granny car in town in storms but if it does get bad enough to need a truck I put her in 4 before i leave the driveway. If ya dont want to do that then invest in a good running old cheap car.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM

if you use 4 wheel drive please remember one thing,dont get overconfindent, thats the number one mistake people make and they end up rolled on their lid in the ditch.i see it all the time,mostly soccer moms with their stupid little suv's haha

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TTipsword
I have no problems in mine if im in 4x4. 3 inches or 3 ft. got to remember your in a pickup. I rather drive my front wheel drive buick granny car in town in storms but if it does get bad enough to need a truck I put her in 4 before i leave the driveway. If ya dont want to do that then invest in a good running old cheap car.

Thanks for the input.

After that fun experience the first day, I made some changes that night. I aired down the tires to 40PSI and filled up the truck's bed with snow. I also locked in the front hubs as I do with my blazer in the winter, so I don't have to get out and lock them while driving, prior to engaging 4wd.

It was night and day difference. I drove the next day in 4wd and had zero issues. It makes sense considering how reputable front-wheel drive cars are in the winter; our cummins trucks are front-heavy and the increased control in 4wd reflected that.

The added weight in the rear from filling up the bed feels to help quite a bit also.

kevin:

haha thanks for the insight. I'm especially careful when driving the dodge because she's one big mamma jamma

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I never, ever unlock my hubs.
I use 4wd to start from a stop, then shift back into 2wd.
I run 45psi in the front and 50 in the rear on my winter tires.
My summer tires (M&S) can take me safely into winter were I then switch to my winter studded tires.
I always carry chains in the winter along with a come-a-long, strap, and tow chain.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Its worked out the last couple years my D250 is the only one roadworthy when the snow flies

I have a Lockright in there, 285/75R16s, only 40 psi, and basically drive with my gears only - very minimal brake use. It works well for me.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Subaru does better in the snow than any truck I've ever been in. If you're able to, I'd buy a cheap little AWD beater to drive in the winter months, not only will it do awesome in the snow but you also won't get salt and other crap on your truck.