1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

7mm injectors in my 9mm head

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7mm injectors in my 9mm head

As I'm reconditioning my 1991 6BT replacement engine I pulled the injectors to inspect them. They are in great condition and came out very easy, there was grey anti-seize on the nut threads. The problem is, they are 7mm injectors in the 9mm head, without the adapter/washer. The engine ran good but I don't want to put them back in as they were. The injectors are stamped/etched "Delphi 680 1127 DZM". They have 4 holes in the nozzle.

Are these the Lucas 300 POD's?

Will they work if I just purchase some 7mm to 9mm adapter/washers?

I'm putting the turbo and intake manifold from the intercooled engine onto this non-intercooled engine.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevadan
As I'm reconditioning my 1991 6BT replacement engine I pulled the injectors to inspect them. They are in great condition and came out very easy, there was grey anti-seize on the nut threads. The problem is, they are 7mm injectors in the 9mm head, without the adapter/washer. The engine ran good but I don't want to put them back in as they were. The injectors are stamped/etched "Delphi 680 1127 DZM". They have 4 holes in the nozzle.

Are these the Lucas 300 POD's?

Will they work if I just purchase some 7mm to 9mm adapter/washers?

I'm putting the turbo and intake manifold from the intercooled engine onto this non-intercooled engine.
yes they will work with the adapter washers.. I will look to see if I have a set... the turbo off the intercooled is bigger... use the turbo off the intercooled but with the 18cm exhaust housing off the non intercooled.. most likely your intercooled engine has the 21 cm ex housing and they suck. there stamped on the back.18/21

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by novapat
yes they will work with the adapter washers.. I will look to see if I have a set... the turbo off the intercooled is bigger... use the turbo off the intercooled but with the 18cm exhaust housing off the non intercooled.. most likely your intercooled engine has the 21 cm ex housing and they suck. there stamped on the back.18/21
I just found the adapters. I have all 6 if you want them send me your address again... there yours.

Last edited by novapat; 11-18-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Diesel Fan

I'll PM my address to you for shipping the adapters. I still have the old 7mm injector you sent and will get to using it to test my bad engine as soon as I get this one running and installed.

I'm not totally understanding your suggestion about the exhaust housing. Are you referring to the exhaust manifold or the exhaust housing portion of the turbo? If it's the portion of the turbo I'm not sure how to change the aluminum part of the turbo. Is it a simple swap?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes the exhaust housing of the turbo... most are 21cm intercooled. some are 18... BC may know what years are what on when they used them. there stamped on the back of the turbo... I just found your phone number I think I have a old 18 laying around.. the 21cm lag bad..you will need penetrating oil and take out the (4) 13mm head bolts to separate the turbo from the exhaust housing.. or you could just put your intercooled comp wheel and housing on the non intercooled 18cm housing... its a little work but trust me its worth it.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan

O.K., I got it. I'll look for the cast/stamped numbers to see if one of the two I have is the 18cm housing. I'll probably do the work this coming weekend.

Another question on separating the turbo from the exhaust housing....will I need to take the intake side impeller off the shaft? I've only taken apart one turbo and it seems I had to pull that one off to get the aluminum (intake side) part of the turbo off.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

use whatever turbo has the 18cm housing... use the intercooled comp and wheel... so if your non intercooled has the 18cm housing use the intercooled compressor and wheel.. its bigger...the threads are backwards on the compressor wheel..

Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Default 21cm vs 18cm turbo housing.

It looks like I have what I need.

First picture is the intercooled turbo exhaust housing. Cummins number 3519297; 21 - 6; built 12-9-90.
Name:  Intercoolerturbo_zpsa35dae61.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  125.9 KB

These are pictures of the non-intercooled turbo. Cummins number 3519410; 18 - 120; built 8-28-90.
Name:  NonICturbo2_zpsb627a5a2.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  NonICturbo1_zpse470dc08.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  116.6 KB

The following users liked this post:
jbeartahoe54 (01-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yep the non had the 18.. use the bigger comp and wheel off of the intercooled (cold side)on the non intercooled (with the 18) it wont have as much lag that way.. you will see a big difference between the two comp. wheels. the inj. adapters will go out this morning in the mail

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Diesel Fan

I know what you mean about the lag. The intercooled engine I had in the truck (the one the KDP killed) had a definite lag. I don't have a tachometer but it probably didn't generate boost until about 1,400 rpm.

I'll look for the adapters.

Now I have the option of putting in the original stock Bosch 7mm injectors with 6 holes in the nozzle, with the holes drilled to spray an even pattern into the piston depression, from the intercooled engine or the Delphi (LUCAS?) 7mm injectors from the non-intercooled engine.

The Delphi ones are in excellent condition. They have the 4 holes at the tip and based on what I've read on this site and others seem to be the LUCAS 300 injectors generating an additional 50HP. The only problem I see is the spray pattern from the nozzle holes isn't correct. It doesn't seem the spray will be directed into the piston depression.

The stock Bosch injectors need to be cleaned and pop tested and possibly rebuilt with new nozzles, but I like the nozzle pattern.

Another option is to get some new injectors from a place like Oregon Fuel Injection. There site and price list is here: Dodge Cummins diesel fuel injection pump, VP44, injectors, turbo, turbocharger and turbo parts

Any suggestions on this? I don't need a bunch of black smoke. I just want good power, good mileage and excellent reliability.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nevadan
I know what you mean about the lag. The intercooled engine I had in the truck (the one the KDP killed) had a definite lag. I don't have a tachometer but it probably didn't generate boost until about 1,400 rpm.

I'll look for the adapters.

Now I have the option of putting in the original stock Bosch 7mm injectors with 6 holes in the nozzle, with the holes drilled to spray an even pattern into the piston depression, from the intercooled engine or the Delphi (LUCAS?) 7mm injectors from the non-intercooled engine.

The Delphi ones are in excellent condition. They have the 4 holes at the tip and based on what I've read on this site and others seem to be the LUCAS 300 injectors generating an additional 50HP. The only problem I see is the spray pattern from the nozzle holes isn't correct. It doesn't seem the spray will be directed into the piston depression.

The stock Bosch injectors need to be cleaned and pop tested and possibly rebuilt with new nozzles, but I like the nozzle pattern.

Another option is to get some new injectors from a place like Oregon Fuel Injection. There site and price list is here: Dodge Cummins diesel fuel injection pump, VP44, injectors, turbo, turbocharger and turbo parts

Any suggestions on this? I don't need a bunch of black smoke. I just want good power, good mileage and excellent reliability.
I loved my stock non intercooled injectors when I had my non int. set up.. I went to stock intercooled and it didn't have the power.. I upgraded to 5x12 and love them. the pods are a lot alike stock non intercooled..i have a set of intercooled injectors with less than 1000 miles on them if your interested.

The following users liked this post:
jbeartahoe54 (01-20-2014)