1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Learned a valuable lesson about changing oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learned a valuable lesson about changing oil filters

So last weekend I changed the oil in the ol girl. I couldn't pick up a K&N filter like I wanted so I figured a fram would be better than nothing.

Some one at work told me that fram filters aren't recommended by Cummins for their engines. Me being a worry-wart, I get ahold of a K&N oil filter for it. Apparently though, I had tightened the fram one wayyyy too much because I couldn't get it off. After destroying the filter I finally got it off. Slapped some oil on the K&N seal and screwed it on, tightened it up the 3/4-1 turn that's recommended and fired her up to check for leaks.

Later the fiancé and I took the truck to get groceries about a block away. I still didn't notice any problems. It wasn't until we went to drive the truck later in the afternoon that I found out how I screwed up.

As I watched the oil pressure gauge (as I always do, parannoyed I guess) I noticed that it wasn't building pressure ANND the belt was squealing. Ruh roh. After shutting it down and investigating, I found that the oil had been pouring out from the filter seal and it sprayed everywhere under the hood.

Theres lots of people that know you should ALWAYS CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE OLD SEAL FROM THE OLD OIL FILTER IS NOT STILL ON THE ENGINE!!!!!! But this was a lesson that I had not learned yet.

In the two blocks that I had drove and parked I had lost two gallons of oil and could easily have ruined my low mileage cummins.

I shake my head at myself but I'm glad all this mistake cost was the ~$25 for oil.

The following users liked this post:
dodgeDiesel93 (08-31-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My 91 has nearly 300,000 miles with Fram oil filters. And it is my work horse. I change my oil every 5,000 miles and cut open the filter to inspect them (it's an aviation thing). I have yet to find a defective Fram filter, you don't want to know how many aircraft filters I've found.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That has to be one hell of a mess under the hood. Glad there was nothing hurt.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Chrysler issued a bulletin back in 1992 that warned against using non-recommended oil filters in the Cummins, listing several that were considered to be "approved." Apparently some engines had been lost due to filters disintegrating and clogging piston-cooling nozzles with filter debris. At least that is what they claimed. There was no mention of "Fram," however I suspect this was part of the urban legend behind the Fram myth. I have an original copy of the letter that was sent to all registered owners.

The 5.9 is an unusual beast in this regard, in that it will run right up to relief pressure after a cold start like any other engine. However, due to the circumstances found with with it, this can (and apparently does) cause some severe working factors in cold weather with heavy oils that would challenge any filter. Using a higher-quality filter, or even one of the better up-rated Frams is never a bad idea.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

I prefer to run the Mopar filters because I know Cummins approves them.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cougar
My 91 has nearly 300,000 miles with Fram oil filters. And it is my work horse. I change my oil every 5,000 miles and cut open the filter to inspect them (it's an aviation thing). I have yet to find a defective Fram filter, you don't want to know how many aircraft filters I've found.
What do look for when you inspect the filters?.

That has to be one hell of a mess under the hood. Glad there was nothing hurt.
Two gallons of oil spreads a lonnnng way.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Mainly looking for metal of any kind. You will always find a very small amount of fine particles. Nothing to worry about unless you suddenly get alot more than you are use to seeing and they're big enough to have part numbers. There will always be some carbon. You will see alot of it after working it hard. Still nothing to worry about. After 45 years of driving on mostly Fram filters, I'd say they're safe.