1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

my new 93

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my new 93

Ok, so I just got a 1993 D350 2 wheel drive auto with the club cab. Im on the body right now, but as soon as its painted I plan to spend a lot of time (but not a lot of money) under the hood.

Now to the questions......... im going with 4in straight exhaust, and the kit from diamond eye looks promising for the low price of 300 bucks, but all I can find is 4x4 only kits.......... is there a difference or is it just because they don't want to market it for street use?

also, i wanted to do all the free mods to the injection pump....... then the fuel pin, and the 3200 rpm governor spring.....and I have already made a cold air intake (K&N)..... just wandering what power I could get from that, is my trans going to start slipping? (its brand new) and if there are any turbo upgrades I need to make?.......... im getting a trans temp gauge, EGT gauge, and a boost gauge.

thank you soooo much for any help.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gauges first no doubt. There isnt alot you can do with the pump. i have that same truck and all i have done without spending any money was grind the fuel pin. i also wonder about the gov spring i havent looked into it yet. my 4 speed auto dosent slip and its older but i dont have much done with it power wise but soon bigger injecters and bigger fuel pin. i would recomend a manual if your going to give it alot of ponies. i have 3 inch exahust off of the stock turo back to the bed and it goes into 5 inch square stacks and sounds amazing. I want to know if a 2nd gen turbo will mount up on the first gen????

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Diesel Fan

there is a difference to the kits. I installed the Diamond Eye K4209A on my 93 2wd. It's awesome!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so there is a 2 wheel drive exhaust option?.......... where did you get it from..... i have only seen 4x4 for sale.......... must have overlooked it.

BTW i do plan on buying the gov spring and the fuel pin........ i just want to be on the same level of performance as a 3rd gen dodge Cummins............. got to keep up with my dad!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to upgrade the torque convertor and add a TransGo TFOD shift kit. The mods you have listed are a good start. There are some good videos on youtube for adjusting the IP and timing. Turbo and injector wise there are lots of options. You need to figure out what you want your truck to do ie daily driver/ tow machine or toy. Do some research. With some work these old trucks can really put a suprise on later model stuff. You should be able to get close to 300hp without alot of money.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im glad to hear that.............. 300 sounds like plenty. I want to play with it, but will most likely drive it every day...................... i was researching possible turbo upgrades, and found an intake side upgrade for about $450...........new housing, wheel, and seals/bearings................ i want this some day soon since i will already be pushing it to its limits............... but, i have yet to mod...... soon....... soon.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

even better....... i found the same part from BBDPerfromance for $275. looks like ill be getting it sooner than i thought BTW i have a trans cooler. Does that help much?

Last edited by dodgeramit10; 02-12-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Diesel Fan

If you are going to do the compressor side, give the 14cm turbine housing serious thought. With the 60mm compressor upgrade the 14cm turbine housing spools up real quick and you will see boost in the 30 lb. range.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tampabaybill
If you are going to do the compressor side, give the 14cm turbine housing serious thought. With the 60mm compressor upgrade the 14cm turbine housing spools up real quick and you will see boost in the 30 lb. range.

Son did that to "Da Beast", and even at the higher altitudes in and around Salt Lake City, he's got no trouble breathing at all.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

go to TVDiesel.com and you can get either the 4 wheel drive exhausts or the 2 wheel drive ones. They are only $270

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok thanks for the link