1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I am the original poster, and this thread has plenty of links to the infamous Recall #605. My experience with the dealership sucked, they ended up firing the service guy that handled this recall, they ended up breaking the first pump they put on it, I had it towed from there when they told me they couldn't figure it out, and I spent about $500 of my money to fix what they screwed up. BUT, I did get a new pump from Dodge. The tag on the side of the pump gives you the serial number to check, the dealer can validate through the VIN if the recall was ever performed on the truck, and the dealership is not on the hook for the pump, only the labor ... an hour, maybe, if you know what you're doing? They ended up giving me a standard receipt for the work done, billed out to "recall" or "warranty", I don't remember, and the recall was noted in the VIN database they have to keep on recalled vehicles, so they (Mother Mopar) know how many chickens she still has to look out for. New pumps have, obviously, a different serial with the improved throttle shaft linkage. I think hardest part was getting to the serial number on the pump, as you have to basically look up from the battery tray to that side of the pump, and twenty years of gunk makes it tricky to see. It will be a pain in the ***, you may have to cuss some people out (I called the owner of the dealership everything but a child of God with my outside voice) but, the good news is, if you go in there with your ducks in a row, act intelligently (at least at first), you should be able to make some headway and find out if the vehicle in question has ever had the recall service performed. Plenty of our trucks are still out there, but plenty of them have had the IP replaced in the last twenty years, too. As I stated much earlier in this thread, just asking if the recall was ever performed on the truck does not say that you want a new pump, it merely verifies that it was never done. When they have admitted that, that is 99% of the battle.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to reach out if I can assist further...

Cree

Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my ip replaced at the dealership under that recall about a year and a half ago with 250k I figured what the hell mite as well get a new pump to go with my new injectors . So they replaced it no biggy but 1700 miles later the new pump went to hell and the fun began the service department expected me to pay the tow bill to get the truck the 50 miles to them money I didn't have so I battle with the service guys a while and got no where. They didn't believe it was the pump they didn't count on my friends that are pro diesel mechanics so I call and spoke with the dealership owner or manager not sure who and next thing I know I got a call from the service manager wanting to know when they could pick up my truck the same guy that blew me off the day before anyway I am pleased to report that 30k miles later and another set of injectors my truck runs fine and all it cost me was 400 bucks for the day of work I missed the bill would have been nearly 5k if I had to pay. The point is this is lagit just be careful I'm a little suspect of the mexican remanned I pumps

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 92 that had a pump with all the right credentials ,that was acting up and needed to be replaced. When I contacted the Dodge dealer with the vin. of my truck, it was all systems go. They were going to tow my truck down to Hannibal Mo. where the dealership was located, since the dealership in Quincy, Il. was closed. Then I was told they could not help me, and that their records show that this truck had this procedure done already. I bought this truck in 1993 , second owner, It only had 80,000 miles and had been traded in because of a bad transmission , which was the only time it was in the dealership for any warranty work prior to my owning the truck. It had not been in the dealership for any other work up until the pump started acting up some 15 yrs later.
Now for a Federal Safety Recall their records were satisfied but I was still driving around with a unsafe injector pump! My guess is someone was paid to do the swap, but only filled out the paperwork. Otherwise I wouldn't still have the pump, which I do!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Diesel Fan

well..... i just got these numbers from my IP, what do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993-dsc03020.jpg   Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993-dsc03021.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Diesel Fan

From the recall # 605

Attached Thumbnails Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993-image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1stgenSWB
From the recall # 605
None of the 2 Dodge Dealerships in my area accept the recall.....

Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Diesel Fan

I still haven't been able to get somebody to honor the recall. My truck is still drivable and the pump still works but if I can get a new pump I'll take it.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't hold your breath , that one's only been working for 22 + years, i bet you are not the original owner either , bet its not the original pump either.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Diesel Fan

I think it is actually. I've checked the numbers and the pump falls under the recall requirements. Dodge won't honor it no matter what I do. The trucks a tank. Still fires right up every time, but if I can get a new IP under the recall that would be great.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Diesel Fan

Quick Reply: Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993