1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Gas
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What **** are they giving you? The mods or the fact that you brought in a million year old truck?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i scraped out at the least 20 of theses trucks just for the cummins and only 2 had a pump that was on the recall .and i am still running one and the other was replaced by dodge , was changed from p/o.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They just all of the sudden want to see the injector pump in person. So I have an appointment Wednesday.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Diesel Fan

put the pressure on them , hope you get a pump.in one of my early post i had it backwards ,meant to ask if there where pump mods would that void the recall ?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha
They just all of the sudden want to see the injector pump in person. So I have an appointment Wednesday.
As was explained above, they need to verify that the pump you have is one of those needing to be replaced. They don't know that the pump has already been replaced.

It's a matter of procedure folks. Nothing personal. All business. It'd be silly to think they are gonna simply throw a new replacement pump from Dodge, on a truck at the dealer's expense, without checking first. That's most likely what's gonna happen. There may be means for the dealer to recoup some of the cost of a Safety Recall from Dodge, but it won't be profitable.

It was explained to me that a lot of call-back work is borne by the dealer.

I bought my truck brand new in late 1993. It was a custom order and as such, wasn't to be found on any dealer's lot. They had to build it from scratch. Paid for it in early Dec of '93, and got it in Feb of '94 IIRC.
Almost three years later, the clear-coat was crazing and getting seriously funky. The short story is I had a polite/controlled FIT! Warranty smarranty! How many three year old Dodge vehicles are out there with the paint carrying on like this?! He agreed but confessed, Dodge wasn't going to help what so ever. He has to eat the cost.
We ended-up splitting the cost to make it right.

The following users liked this post:
bladeyamaha (11-20-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, they will be a). slow b). clueless c). unaware of what the pump does and d). slow. I swear I haven't been a dick to them, yet, but they are getting on my nerves. The service department tried to tell me that they just don't have anybody that works on these old trucks anymore. I said I did have several qualified techs who could do the work, so the dealership could simply pay for my guys' time and we'd be great. Bottom line is that they are up against the wall, but there isn't any money in it for them to do a great job or a bad job. Think anybody in management at the dealership is gonna bitch the service department out because you complained on a recall done for free? I have several friends of mine that know the owner of the dealership here in town. When this is all said and done, I'm going to go down there, sit in his office, and give him a report, good or bad, about how his people handled this. The problem is that neither Dodge nor "us" has anything to lose in this deal. No one really cares about an ancient recall and there just aren't really enough affected units out there to get a buzz going from the media. At the end of the day, it'll be a pain in the ***, it'll take too much time, you may cuss out the poor bastard in the service department and a couple of people he reports too, and you will get a new pump (if your date code and VIN are in the computer as such) and they will continue to have a job bending people over the fence. SSDD...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terragota5.9cummins
meant to ask if there where pump mods would that void the recall ?
NO!!

As was explained above, this is about a factory part breaking as a result of some manufacturing shortcoming. It has been known to break creating a dangerous situation for the driver. It has to be fixed as per the Safety Recall. There are no alternate remedies.

Just to bring the link to this page . . . . . .

READ IT HERE: Recall #605 Diesel Fuel Injection Pump

* Keep in mind, this is about a run of injection pumps. Not a run of engines. This means that some of the later trucks up to and including 1993, that had a warranty replacement pump installed, may fall into the Safety Recall. This would be if the later truck's IP failed while under warranty and was subsequently replaced with a suspect IP.

It doesn't hurt to check. It's OK for them to say: Nope, your truck's safe.

- - - - At the end of the day, your truck is in front of you. Following the instruction on how to identify the suspect pump, as is clearly explained in the link to the recall notice, you can determine for yourself if your pump is one of the suspect ones.

Last edited by BC847; 11-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
bladeyamaha (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan

o k !!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine was a special order made to build truck, there are really weird things going on with this truck and I cannot describe them all, but the body was built in 5/91 and it was not delivered until early 92. Its got some weird color wiring stuff going on with the stereo system and the wires were put in later, its like they forgot to install the passenger door speaker at the factory and it was install later like at the dealer or something. Its got other weird stuff going on too. Its an odd truck for sure. It just seems the manuals that were special builds seem to be the ones getting the pumps that were recalled to me, maybe I am wrong.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

IIRC, all the 1st gen Dodge spec Cummins engines were built in Wilson, NC (at the time).

bladeyamaha (11-20-2012)

Quick Reply: Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993