1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... what he said! The dealer doesn't really have a choice on this one. Since it is safety related, whether the pump works or not is not the point. Dodge is liable for all the units they sold, so they want to get as many accounted for as they can. Obviously, there aren't as many as before, as getting twenty or more years out of the pump is a little far fetched, but, as my story shows, they are out there, and Dodge still has to smile and chew the glass. All the same, I didn't, and wouldn't, go into the dealership and show my *** first thing, I carried a copy of the recall and my VIN, explained that I was aware of the recall and my pump appeared to be a suspect unit, and what could we do about getting that checked out. My real job is in management, and I hate that guy that comes in telling me how my business is going to run. Probably 95% of us have pumps that are fixed or replaced, so understand, you can't just show up and raise Hell. Go by and talk to your dealer's service department, ask if they could look up in their computer if your truck had been corrected, and then thank them for their time. If it wasn't fixed, ask about scheduling it, if it was fixed, ask about any information they may have on your vehicle, you may even learn something interesting about the "stock" vehicle that someone bought twenty or more years ago. If they act like an *** to you, ask to speak to the General Manager of the dealership. This is why you bring a copy of the recall with you, as it lends credence to what you are asking about. Hell, look nice for them, they may be about to do a $1000 favor for you. Don't track mud all over his floor, spit in his trash can, make fun of his employees and slap the secretary on the butt. As a manager of a business, I can solve your problem, but I can also decide how long or how pleasant that resolution can take. Be a gentleman and work with them... you'll get farther, faster. For once, the law is on our side and we do hold the necessary cards to get our problem resolved. Also, don't expect them to move at light speed to solve your twenty year old recall. See if you can schedule the service, give them time to order the parts (I can't imagine replacement VE pumps are stacked up like cordwood in the back of the parts department after being out of production for twenty years.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i called and mine wasnt covered

Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You won't believe this but my injector pump just went out as well, just now, I called the dealer and mine falls under the recall and I am getting a new injector pump! Wow, Thanks Guys!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Thankyou for posting this do I need to call the dealership with my vin or can I just check my vin myself?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 12 valve and proud
Thankyou for posting this do I need to call the dealership with my vin or can I just check my vin myself?
Yes.

- Call your local dealer and have them check your VIN against their sources .. .

OR

- Go to the link I provided above and scroll down to "Service Procedure" and READ section: A.

The following users liked this post:
Cree (11-21-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

They all of the sudden want to manually look at my injector pump to look at the numbers on my injector pump. What's up with this?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Are they just hoping my injector pump has been replaced before at 320,xxx miles? Cause the PO stated it has never been out before, so, they are in for a big surprise if that's what they are betting on!

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 11-18-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Well I had them run my trucks VIN but it didn't match up

I'm gonna go check the number on the pump anyways LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the pump was tampered with it will void the recall

QUOTE=bladeyamaha;960766]Well, the pin is working out great, its putting down a lot of power, hope to get it on a dyno soon, by New Years anyways, uh, its not wearing down at all, but I have it in a mixture of Royal Purple Maxfilm mixed with Royal Purple Synthetic Grease in the AFC plunging hole area and its stays submerged in the solution and no problems so far with that setup so it constantly stays lubed well, no wear at all, just inspected it a few days ago, I'm happy so far, works great, IMO.

All the white fuzz stuff in the pics is from polishing redneck style. LOL [/QUOTE]

bladeyamahaaa whats up with your pump ,

Last edited by terragota5.9cummins; 11-19-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Its leaking everywhere out of the pump now.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the main reason is that the the VIN will tell them that the pump COULD be a recall unit, the date code on the pump will tell them for sure if it IS a recall unit. All the mods in the world don't void the recall, the recall is not a Dodge issue, it's a federal deal. Dodge knows it sold "X" number of trucks with the defective pumps. They are responsibe for "X" number of trucks. I'm still getting **** from the dealership over the recall for mine, but the bottom line is, they are on the hook, like it or not. I hope to get mine back in the next day or two, but the facts are the facts, I had a defective pump, they have to replace it. Whatever mods are done to it does not replace the fact that the pump fulcrum lever can break causing a WOT condition. It can break with mods or with no mods. So when I get mine back, I'll spend an afternoon replacing and tweaking and I'll be right back where I was ... with a new pump.

Quick Reply: Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993