1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Fan Clutch Removal Woes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Clutch Removal Woes....

Anyone ever have a fan clutch not wanting to come off? I have a removal tool using an air chisel and still can't get the thing to break loose. I have tried heat, and pb blaster. I'm stumped I believe that these are reverse threaded so looking at the fan from the front of the truck I"m trying to loosen it counter clockwise as it makes sense that the fan spins clockwise and it would be tightening this direction.

Any suggestions as I would like to get this off the motor so I can replace it is much appreciated in advance. Thanks

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rent the fan removal wrench kit from O'Reilly's, makes life much easier.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

They are difficult to remove though. I have to say that!

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-02-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I use a big *** C clamp, put it on the pulley itself n crank it down tight that pulley doesn't bent easy. Take out 4 of the 6 bolts holding the pulley on leaving two in then put a cresent wrench on with a pipe on the wrench n go to town. Done it 3 or 4 times with no damage to the pulleys.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
I use a big *** C clamp, put it on the pulley itself n crank it down tight that pulley doesn't bent easy. Take out 4 of the 6 bolts holding the pulley on leaving two in then put a cresent wrench on with a pipe on the wrench n go to town. Done it 3 or 4 times with no damage to the pulleys.
I'm having a hard time visualizing this method without looking at it. I do have what my bus garage uses which is a specialized tool to take these off. It's a wrench that goes onto a bar that attaches to a air-chisel that rattles the crap out of the nut.

I also have access to the cummins online resources because of our affiliation with our buses and looking up my engine number it shows that motor should have had an electric fan clutch so I'm a bit baffled if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Does anyone know if I can take the whole unit off then remove the nut? Thanks again for the input keep it coming someone has to have had this issue. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

No, you have to remove the fan first, there are bolts under neath I believe.

At O'Reilly's you just rent the kit and get your money back when you return it, simple.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-02-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by splitnrag
I'm having a hard time visualizing this method without looking at it. I do have what my bus garage uses which is a specialized tool to take these off. It's a wrench that goes onto a bar that attaches to a air-chisel that rattles the crap out of the nut.

I also have access to the cummins online resources because of our affiliation with our buses and looking up my engine number it shows that motor should have had an electric fan clutch so I'm a bit baffled if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Does anyone know if I can take the whole unit off then remove the nut? Thanks again for the input keep it coming someone has to have had this issue. Thanks again.
I dont have a picture sorry. Yes take the belt off then loosen the pulley by undoing the six 3/8l bolts then take out the 4 3/8 head bolts holding the assembly to the block

Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Diesel Fan

I have pulled the whole assembly off the block and brought it in to work. I see that it has a bearing pressed into the housing. When I take the back bolt off can you press that out? My understanding is that I'm still to get the 36mm nut behind the pulley to break loose. What a PITA this has been and shouldn't be that difficult.

Well after several attempts with no avail the fan was finally removed with some heat...Yup cut that sucker right off the front then used an impact to zip it off the rest of the way. What a pain but it's off to get a new fan.

Last edited by splitnrag; 10-03-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

On a 2nd gen that 36mm is right hand thread so I'm not sure on a 1st gen but you're probably tryin to turn it the wrong way

Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Snap on has a universal tool set that attaches to an air hammer. The cost of the tool here in Alaska is about $200 off the Snap On truck. I've had better experience using it. And if that don't work. Or anything else? Bit the bullet and cut it off. Save you time if you can afford all new. HA > I WIN! The sides of a 1 3/8" open end wrench down. Remove one bolt little bolt from fan side. Slide in the wrench, then hammer it onto the Nut, Then slide in your super heavy duty home made (out of 1/8" steel with two holes two and half inches apart, welding in two short 7/16" bolts, MODIFIED TOOL) sLIP OVER a huge 2 and 1/4" pipe 3 foot long and pull her till she breaks loose. SOMETHING WILL GIVE. HA

Last edited by bennymoe; 07-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by splitnrag

The C-clamp is for getting the belt to make better contact with the pulley, don't remove the pulley/fan before removing the fan/clutch assembly.