12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster

Hi all!!!
Just need a little help if y'all dont mind?? Tach, speedo, amp, and temp gauges quit working!!!! Oil pressure and fuel guage still does!!! What in the world may i check to remedy this?? Thanks for all help!!!!

Mike

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Just read a post, just so you know and to add a little info, the WTS light and all other lights seem to work!! will see if code comes up but have no check engine light except when go to start then goes away while heater is kicking!! Other than the said guages not working everything is normal!! Idle a little low due to injectors changed out!! but did that a month ago!!! Fuel heater burnt out so did a bypass. Tha was a week ago!! other than that as of this morning those 4 guages went out!!! Again thanks for help!!!!!

Mike

Last edited by BOS'UNMIKE; 10-24-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I am leaning towards CPS Crankshaft Postion Sensor.

Last edited by H.R.D; 10-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BOS'UNMIKE (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not arguing, but cause other gauges as mentioned to go as well??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Will check that !!! Thank You!!!

Last edited by BOS'UNMIKE; 10-24-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it can cause those gauges to go as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your PCM has a bad connection somewhere. The tach sensor has nothing to do with the speedometer, mine is disconnected and the speedo works fine.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Well my old mans CPS went out and he lost all them so it can happen I have seen it first hand.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by H.R.D
Well my old mans CPS went out and he lost all them so it can happen I have seen it first hand.
You realize this is the 12V forum?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Do you realize my old man's pick up is a 12v......jackass

Last edited by H.R.D; 10-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan

I see. Your sig is throwing me off.

Anywayss, check the 10A fuse first along with that crappy ground on the front of the block. Clean the terminals to all the sensors. Then you can start throwing money at sensors themselves. The fuel gauge and oil pressure don't need a PCM at all.

If you want to try the tach sensor you can test it before just buying a new one. I can't remember if it is an NPN or PNP but I think PNP.

** How to test NPN and PNP sensor

Things You’ll Need:
• 3 wire sensor (DC voltage)
• digital multimeter

Step1
Set the multi meter to DC voltage. This is indicated by either the letters "VDC" or "DCV" or by a symbol which looks like 3 dashed lines over a solid line. There are usually several levels within the DC voltage setting. Choose the "600" level.
Step2
The power will need to be ON to perform this test, so use caution when attempting the following. Connect two of the sensor wires to the power supply. If the color combination of the wires is blue, black, and brown, then normally, the blue wire connects to 0v and the brown wire connects to positive volts. Touch the black meter probe to the 0V wire of the sensor. Connect the red meter probe to the signal output wire of the sensor. This wire is normally black. The meter should read "0."
Step3
Force the sensor to output. If it is a photoelectric sensor, block the photoelectric beam. If it is an inductive proximity switch, introduce a small piece of metal in front of the sensor. For an ultrasonic sensor or a capacitive sensor, you can just use your hand to make the sensor output. Be sure that the sensor is detecting the object. Many sensors have a small LED that illuminates when the sensor detects it's target.
Step4
Watch the meter display as you force the sensor to output. If the readout changes to a number between 10 and 30, then the sensor output is a PNP type, also known as "sourcing." If the meter display remains at "0", then the sensor output is an NPN type, also known as "sinking."
Step5
If you believe that the sensor is NPN, there is an additional test that may be done to confirm. Remove the meter probes from the wires. Now place the red meter probe on the positive voltage sensor wire, normally a brown wire. Touch the black meter probe to the signal output wire of the sensor, normally black. When the sensor does not detect it's target, the meter display should read between 10 and 30. When the sensor senses an object, the display should drop to "0." This will confirm that the sensor has an NPN type output.

Last edited by Haden; 10-25-2011 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BOS'UNMIKE (11-27-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Any updates BOS?

Quick Reply: instrument cluster