Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I just was reminded of this by a thread in the first gen section. My buddy has a first gen dually with the getreg 5 speed, manual t case and a 2 speed rear end. I have always wondered in the back of my mind ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Burnt my brakes, stripped my gears gunna have to ride 'er down I fear. Diesel smoke dangerous curves

View Member's Albums

Default 2 speed rearend?

I just was reminded of this by a thread in the first gen section.

My buddy has a first gen dually with the getreg 5 speed, manual t case and a 2 speed rear end. I have always wondered in the back of my mind if that was a stock setup or not? I know you could option first and second gens with a PTO but what about a 2 speed rearend? If it was an option does anyone have any info on how many were produced? Was it just a first gen thing? And if it is aftermarket, does anyone know by who?

godblessmud's Sig:-1994 2500 5 speed, 120 marines, no fuel plate, 40psi, a few shenanigans in the AFC, 16.5*, bhaf, 4" fender stack, Centerforce stage 2, turbo silencer gone, Yukon gearing...etc...
-1990 "F150" 351w, ZFHD 1 ton 5 speed, 1 ton T case, 6"all spring lift, 36x13 pro comp MTs, Sterling 10.25 1 ton rearend 4.10 posi..in need of Dana 60 front
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Diesel Fan

I would think it would be aftermarket , gear vendors , or other. I have never seen a 1 ton 2-speed rear. I would like to have one , best of both worlds. I'm interested in the replys myself
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Burnt my brakes, stripped my gears gunna have to ride 'er down I fear. Diesel smoke dangerous curves

View Member's Albums

This is a legit, run the gears, pull the shifter mounted switch and run them again in a higher ratio. I got a responce in first gen saying no it wasnt factory but again im curious as to who offers this setup.

In all fairness I dont even know if it is still a dana 80 rearend as I cant say I have ever felt like laying in cow chit more than nescesary to crawl under and check.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Everardo Aguilar

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

There was an article on DieselPower Mag where they put in a Gear Vendors two speed, over/under on a 93 W250, helped out alot from what I remember. I think there was also a full article of a guy that had a purpose built tow rig with one of them too, a 12 valve dually if I remember right. I'll look for the articles in the morning though, I know they're around here somewhere

aguilar_15's Sig:2001 Dodge 2500, ext cab, 6spd. long bed, silencer ring-MIA, 4" turbo back-5" MBRP tip, NAPA BHAF. AD 150, BD exhaust manifold, RV275's Scheid Diesel Lightning VP44-to be installed

BLEEDIN PURPLE
Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

im also interested... but however wouldnt being in 5th and them changing your rearend and then back to 1st be down shifting and over reving your moter? maybe im not fully understanding how this works
Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Diesel Fan

after you flip your selector switch you change the gear ratio in your rearend so first would really be sixth, second is seventh and so forth

cowboyjohnson's Sig:95 PSD: K&N cold air intake, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, FPR Shimmed otherwise basically stock.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

No, a two speed rearend you could split the gears but you wouldnt go from 5th to 1st you could do like 3 low to 3 high to 4 low etc.

tiremann9669's Sig: 96 12 valve Club Cab 4X4, K&N Intake,4'' Straight Pipe, 285/75R16 Bridgestone Revo's,on 16X8 American Racing Black steelies, Firestone ride rite airbags Future Bombs Guages, Aftermarket lift pump, Fuel plate, Injectors,etc,etc,etc Oh Yea I'm sure a clutch will come into the picture sometime too
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

So what exactly does he have going on then?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Diesel Bomber

Default 2 speed rearend?

Less down shifting, does the same thing a splitter on the back of a rigs transmission except for it's contained in the differential. Hit a hill, start to bog down but down shifting from 4th to 3rd causes you to tach out, split the rear to "low" and keep pulling in 4th. Or if the "low" ratio is close to your stock gearing then the high is just like OD. Serves multiple purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tower_ofpower's Sig:89' W250, full fuel 1 1/2 turns, M&H M3 fuel pin and timing spacer, 366 spring, air dog 150, 6" lift, shocks and dual stabilizer, custom track bar. Soon to be and ordered:transmission "shift reprogram" kit, Mag Hytec double deep trans pan, PDR super S300, HX 40 DP, ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold, DDP stg1 injectors, Fluidamper, oil filter relocation kit, autometer tach, boost, pyro, trans temp gauges.

submit to reddit