12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

2nd gen pcm interchangability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen pcm interchangability?

I have a 1996 dodge diesel that needs a pcm. Not sure if this is interchangable with a same year gas engine pcm, or possibly a later year pcm. I was going to do the converter lockup mod from tst's website but after doing some tests on my wiring harness, found that I have a faulty pcm (voltage on signal wire for tps exceeds 5 volts at all times). I was reading that you can have your early 96' computer re-flashed to have lockup on from 2nd-OD, but the late 96' and up are already capable. What's the best avenue for me? Everything else works. If I could go right to the trans and hook up a toggle switch in the cab to manually lockup the converter, I will do that, just don't know what connector is for what on the trans.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM

Anybody?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

No. computer controls the grid. I gas one wouldnt have that function.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also you can not reflash a computer with whatever software you like. It has to be the same part number with just an update to it.

Last edited by kieron_kohlmann; 04-30-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Not sure I understand you when you said "no. Computer controls the grid"

Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

He means the PCM controls the grid heater cycling.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Okay, duh... don't know why that didn't click when I read it.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Default help on this pls

dnt mean to hijack thread but i have an 96 dodge cummins ...an i not sure whats going on but i was driving one day with the a/c on an all...the all of a sudden ..my truck went on an off twice...then when i pulled over to check it out everything was fine...then the speedmo ..stop working...then the tack stopped ....the it was like all of my gauges stopped working along with the a/c/...so i was looking for a blown fus.but didnt c any...the my truck stopped chargen ...now..whats the case on this....its also a manual trans....nv4500

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ive also find an pcm/ecm whateva it is on an 98 cummins 3500 an a 96 gas 1500 ... will any work if its that

Last edited by ADRIAN; 08-19-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM

From what I understand, the truck will run and the gauges will probably work along with the alternator charging. However, the trans won't shift correctly if at all, and there is no provision for intake grid. More than likely you have a faulty pcm, but I would cover your bases first and make sure you don't have bad wiring or a loose connection somewhere, or something along those lines. I wound up ordering a pcm through Autozone after trying to be cheap about it. Cost me about $300.00, it was shipped to me already flashed (they ask for vin# and mileage) and I have zero complaints. Then you can walk into any Autozone to return your core. Really simple. I did this after two months and a few bad experiences with used or reman computers off of ebay. Lots of headache......

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Diesel Fan

YEAH THANKS.....I PRICED IT...ALREADY..BUT ITS A MANUAL TRANS.....SO IT STILL SHIFTS AN THE ENGINE STILL RUNS....JUST NO GAUGES...THEY WERE ALL WORKING THEN IT JUST STARTED GOING WILD, ,AN IM NOT GETTING AN CHARGE ON THE BATTS....BUT THE MY ALTER....PUTTING OUT POWER an my bad on caps

Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

I've heard of the crank sensors causing all sorts of weird electrical stuff like what you're describing. Maybe check that out?

Quick Reply: 2nd gen pcm interchangability?