12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Front UJ Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front UJ Service

Since driving my truck with the windows donw i noticedc a funny noise. i want to grease my ball joints which meant the wheels needed removing....Anyway I noticed the UJ's at the end of the axle were in a very bad way! Now its a national holiday here for the next few days so i can;t find out how easy these parts are to get. But first i need to know fomr you guys if they are serviceable or not, they don;t look it but i just wanted to check. So can the UJ alone be replaced or do i need to buy full shafts?

RockAuto Parts Catalog

I have found some shafts here, the prices vary wildly can anyone give me some guidance on the difference betweent hem as its all numbers and know nothing about them. the more expensive ones include the seal and bearing but individually these part sonly add up to about £30 per side, but the kits are over £100 more than the one not including them...So i'm a bit confused and need th etruck back in top condition asap for work!

Thanks for your help guys

Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You dont need shafts. Put spicer non greasable joints in. Before anyone calls me out on servicable/non serviceable joints think of it like this. When most of you grease something do you really take the time to wipe the dirt and crud off of the zerk? Also I never run a greaseable in the axle for one reason greaseable joints have a cross in them to allow grease to be pumped out to the caps. This makes the joint weaker. The joints in the streer axle are under the most load and if there is one joint you dont want to have break it is that one.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellnt, on furthe rinspection my drivers side shaft has alot of play in it also, so i guess th ebearing for this need's replacing, are they simple to remove and replace?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ALso alot fo the product si'm dining that are supposedly for the 2500 say dana/spicer 44 and dana, I thought these trucks had a Dana 60 front axle?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sorry, thirs post ina row, If anyone could point me itnhe right direction for the exact dimensions of the U joint that would be great a si could then try to source them locally.

Last edited by Bill10656; 04-25-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost