12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Need some help diagnosing my no-start scenario on 12v conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help diagnosing my no-start scenario on 12v conversion

Just finished my 12v conversion in an 03 F250.

Background:
I bought a complete 96 motor and a 98 motor with a busted block to steal the pump from. I installed 4 k springs and an AFC tuning spring kit as well. While the motor was on the stand I went ahead and advanced the pump timing to 17* ( I do have head studs). This thing also has a set of twins ( what an f-ing nightmare to fit BTW. That's a whole nother thread in itself).
I also added an Airdog 150 pump setup.
Got the motor installed and wired and filled with oil. I didn't bother fabbing all of the charge pipes yet, and haven't installed the radiator either. I just wanted to hear it run for a few seconds before I went ahead and finished installing everything.

Here's the point of this thread....it won't fire.

I have fuel all the way to the injectors but it won't fire. If I give it a tiny shot of ether (I know, I know) into the intake horn, it will fire enough to burn off the ether but that's it. I went so far as to put the timing back to the 100% stock setting ( pump pin lined up with TDC pin installed) and it still won't fire. I have it narrowed down to what I think is 1 of 2 things.

1) Injectors are clogged and not allowing fuel to reach the cylinders (pretty unlikely since they're brand new DDP 140s)
2) Pump pressure to the injector isn't sufficient to push fuel through the injector.

The second one is what I'm not sure how to verify. If I take the injector line off the #1 stick and crank the motor over, I can see fuel spurt from the line but it doesn't seem to be at a very high pressure. I would compare it to the stream and velocity of a cheap squirt gun from a few feet away. Should it be a high pressure blast or not?

Any thoughts?

I realize this is alot to read but wanted to paint an accurate picture so we don't have to play 20 questions for you guys to figure out my setup and help diagnose.

I posted this on a few forums to to and get some help. Please forgive me if you read it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have to much pressure to. The pump. Wich will cause the check valve to bypass fuel through the overflow try taking the air dog out of the equation and see what you get

Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davo79
You may have to much pressure to. The pump. Wich will cause the check valve to bypass fuel through the overflow try taking the air dog out of the equation and see what you get
The stock lift pump and water separator have all been removed. The Airdog is my only source of fuel.

I thought the check valve was associated with the stock stuff that I removed? No?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

To much pressure is just like not enough. Put the check valve back in there are internal check valves as well I believe. It sounds to me like you're pushing fuel right to the overflow and what you see to the injectors is what's not bypassing the pump. Is your air dog adjustable or fixed for pressure if its adjustable turn it down or try a fuel pressure regulator and see what you get

Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't overlook the simple stuff, the shut down lever on the pump. If its not open completely all the way it will still send fuel to the injectors but not enough for it to start.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The lever itself without the solenoid on it will open with the stock lift pump so its unlikely but possible yes. I talked to a buddy of mine today who was having the same issue but with a nd flow Max pump and bd s solution is an oil pressure switch that prevents the pump from coming on until the oil pressure reaches a certain amount