12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Taking forever to start !!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking forever to start !!

1996 2wd 12v is having hard time starting it cranks and cranks and cranks then finally starts I haven't timed it but I'd say a good 15 to 20 sec of cranking it will finally start and run decent then it runs great. It used to be I'd let it sit for acouple days then this would happen but now it's every time I start it ... Please help !

Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check for air in fuel or the fuel is leaking at a fuel line.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Probably a bad fuel heater.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Diesel Fan

i dont no if ur ford isthe same as my dodge but my truck was doin that same thing didnt start out bad but slowly got worse at startin all it would do is crank and crank...on my truck it was the fuel shutoff sylenoid...and if urs is the same on the bottom of the sylenoid there is a lil lever turn ur key to the on position and pull that lever up..the lever will then stay up get back in ur truck and turn the key...mine starts evey time like that..hope this helps

Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Excllent thanks I'll try it tomorrow where is it located ?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Diesel Fan

mine is on the left side of the motor bout half way down...if ur standin next to the left frond tire it will b bout half way down right in front of you...but thats on a dodge not sure bout urs...if u have a repain manual it will b called ur.. fuel shutoff sylenoid

Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is also a return pressure regulator ( fancy words for a banjo bolt with a ball and spring in it) that is located on the p pump, its the banjo bolt that comes out and attaches the fuel line to the pump, a quick fix is to pull it apart and stretch the spring a little but i wouldnt recommend doing that unless ur stuck some where. diesel injection services had them for 96 bucks the last time i got one. but i would check for leaks before you spend any cash. or do like i did and just say the hell with it all cause it was all orig. with 190k and replace the lift pump banjo bolts, seals fuel lines delete the pre heater and as soon as it was all primed its fired up first crank no matter the temp. some times its worth just going through the whole system thats acting up and eliminate future problems and keep the old stuff for spares.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Fan

and by doin all this you said my truck should start up everytime?? or would it just b cheaper for me to buy my $150.00 fuel shutoff sylenoid and b done with it cause i no that is y mine doesnt start without my havin to pop the hood every time...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

There is more than one reason a truck won't start well and had you paid attentions you would have learned that you and the o/p don't have the same problem. HE is slow to start usually caused by loss of prime in your case your just not starting. Had you thought about reading the post or figuring some folks on this thread had some technical experience you wouldn't have posted this. You need to diagnose your fuel shutoff and if its the problem replace it. It will NOT cause slow or hard starts unless there is a voltage issue. These are not the same problems the op has!
Originally Posted by CumminsPower97
and by doin all this you said my truck should start up everytime?? or would it just b cheaper for me to buy my $150.00 fuel shutoff sylenoid and b done with it cause i no that is y mine doesnt start without my havin to pop the hood every time...

The following users liked this post:
biged681985 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

just to clear things up are we talkin about your ford or do you have a dodge too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking forever to start !!