12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

HELP: Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Blue Smoke

Ok first off i wanna say hello to everyone. I am new here and i figured this website looked like one of the better places to ask about my problem..

So here goes.. and the downlow on my truck...next paragraph ill let u know my problem... Im running a 1996 dodge cummins 5.9 12 valve... The motor got a brand new rebuild about 24000 miles ago...i mean everything was new to the block its self.. over sized pistons u name it.. the guy i bought it off said it has 200HP injectors on it. Im also running TWIN turbos..thats just the stuff off the top of my head.

Now for my problem :/
When i start the truck up in the morning(and i plug it in at night) (i live in indiana and its still in the 30s-40s and lower temps here) it blue smokes? i cant figure out why it is...i bought it about a month ago and the guy said it blue smokes just when its cold out..so being me and never owning a diesel i said ok whatever i was just excited it get it. But weve had a few days here and its been 50 degree weather and its still blue smoking...and when im going down the road i cant tell if its still blue smoking or not becuase im running 55-60mph but when i come to a stop and that i still see blue smoke...after the trucks been warmed up and ive been driving for a good half hour at 55mph. It has no problem at all throwing coal i can black out the highway if need be...i dont notice the blue smoke in the coal. Ive been watching my oil and it hasnt fallen any..its been at the same spot on the dip stick.( and its NOT white smoking at all its just blue)

So im open to all suggestions and help here

THANKS!!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Goldie throughs a tinge of blue on those cold mornings, plugged in or not, but only for a second.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Blue smoke is oil.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could be the injectors, you just have alot of fuel goin in and not getting burnt and its not under any load idleing. Smell the exhaust if it is raw diesel smelling then i would say its due to the excess fueling. If it smells like burnt oil then you are burning it due to a turbo seal/bearing issue or rings didnt break in properly.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Geeze guys, Blue smoke is oil smoke?? I would look at his situation.
I vote high timing , tuned pump possibly, and big dirty injectors... any other combination of built truck and cold air. Who knows whats really been done to the truck, but from going with his description it could be heavily modified!

Ask John P. how long his 12V blue smoked up in my area.... We probably went 8 miles before it STARTED clearing up on a cool evening.

Evaluate your smoke, if it burns your eyes, and smells like fuel it could be the setup of the truck, and considering the smoke goes away that sounds like fuel.

I will say that you better do some research and learn your truck if your going to drive a truck built like that, If not, You'll be unhappy with you investment, and probably have lots of truck problems!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Diesel Fan

wow....im sorry i just feel like a big dumbass ...i mean i know my common stuff on gas motors(blows blue smoke that means oil) but with diesel i was unsure..espically with the way this truck is tuned... it has alot done to it...basically nothing on the motor is stock..and mysterync you are right..it is HEAVLY modified...ive had it up to 70 pounds of boost....and it was bookin!...its also a 5 speed manual...i can break traction in every gear...But like i said it just blue smokes while im idleing and its a pretty decent amount(even when its warmed up...motor that is) but when im going down the road i cant see blue smoke....But saying it is my injectors that are dirty...is there any real EASY way to clean them? because this truck has some serious fuel PSI...on my guage pod my Fuel Line Pressure is a 100 psi guage...and when ever its running the guage is also over 100psi..and when the truck is turned off it sits at 40 psi...and i can turn the key and the guage moves and everything...so i know the gauge isnt broke...the truck just has some serious fuel pressure...my boost gauge goes up to 100 psi )...like i said...HEAVY modified..and a very quick truck...im yet to dyno it...i know its pushing some SERIOUS horsepower

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Up Thats what i said bigh injectors.

Originally Posted by mysterync
Geeze guys, Blue smoke is oil smoke?? I would look at his situation.
I vote high timing , tuned pump possibly, and big dirty injectors... any other combination of built truck and cold air. Who knows whats really been done to the truck, but from going with his description it could be heavily modified!

Ask John P. how long his 12V blue smoked up in my area.... We probably went 8 miles before it STARTED clearing up on a cool evening.

Evaluate your smoke, if it burns your eyes, and smells like fuel it could be the setup of the truck, and considering the smoke goes away that sounds like fuel.

I will say that you better do some research and learn your truck if your going to drive a truck built like that, If not, You'll be unhappy with you investment, and probably have lots of truck problems!
When you have that much goin on your gonna have all sorts of smoke and crazy crap. Listen to this guy.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep, my superchips doesn't fuel that hard but it still has a blue haze while it's warming up. Thats all it is, extra fuel in a cold idling engine.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't feel bad, these trucks are a learning curve. Just do a LOT of reading and it will help you learn.
By dirty injectors I mean big high lift high flowing injectors, dirty is a term for a less efficient more powerful injector. If were you, I would try and make an appointment down at scheid terra haute (sp) and they'll be able to give you some great advice, and can take a look at the truck and make sure its tuned correctly. Tell Rob I sent you!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Diesel Fan

Dam mysternc... How in the HE'LL did u know I live by terre haute??? I have a 25 page print out of every performance part on the truck from SCHEID in TH.... and the blue hayze doesn't stop... Even when it's warmed up

Quick Reply: HELP: Blue Smoke