12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

bogging down and dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogging down and dying

my 97 12 valve as far as i know it's stock i have replaced the lift pump, overflow valve, cleaned the fuel heater bowl screen , and installed a fuel pressure guage , truck is getting 25-28 psi on the fuel pressure guage and starts up just fine but randomly when put into drive the truck will bog out and die when i bought the truck the previous owner had already replaced the fuel shutdown solenoid when i replacedthe fuel filter it had a chunk of who knows what in the canister and the filter was black and when i cleaned the fuel heater bowl it had globby gelly like stuff in it the truck will be fine for a few times putting into drive and back into park then randomly it will bog out and die i need some help in figuring out what is goin on

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like a fuel issue. what is your idle set at. my be try and put a new fuel filter on it again and see what happens seems like the owner before didn't take care of it.

Last edited by ltr450; 02-23-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah what is idle set at? could be crap in your injector lines.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 PM

BUMP---
Mine is doing the exact same thing after I added an aux fuel tank I bought from a friend. I thought I had cleaned the tank pretty well before I installed it but it had some gelled fuel in it. Ive changed the fuel filter twice and its still doing the same thing yours is.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Diesel Fan

idle is set at 1200 rpm in park and right around 1,000 in drive with the ac on full blast there was all kinds of crap in the fuel tank and of coarse there was more off the gelly crap in it too now since cleaning the tank and sending unit put it back together the fuel light stays on and the fuel guage doesnt work so next step is replace sending unit and clean my lines out hopefully will be able to drive it soon have had it almost a year and hasnt left the shop more than 5 times to see if problem has been corrected

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

idle is set at 1200 rpm in park and drops to about 1,000 in drive with the ac on full blast i cleaned the tank and sending unit put it al back together now the fuel light stays on and the fuel guage doesnt work so gonna replace it next and clean out my lines and hopefully will have it running

Last edited by noizykrikit; 04-04-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost