12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

White Smokin' 98 w/ Video. Noob here tryin to learn

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smokin' 98 w/ Video. Noob here tryin to learn

hey all, im by far no mechanic but i like to do things on my own to learn how they work. I've got a 98 12v with a nv4500 500hp kevlar ceramic 13" disk, #10 plate, starwheel played with, and everything else is basically stock besides air filter and small things like that. I bought the truck with a hole in the exhaust and standard pipe coming out the rear. Drove the truck and beat the **** out of it for about a year before the tranny went out on me and i installed the current clutch. While doing that i installed a 8" stack, after getting everything back together i noticed the white smoke. I dont know how long its really been going on because of the hole, and i couldnt really see it all that well. but now it is defiantly noticeable. Piston rings are definatly shot right? With a high chance of cylinder walls being scorn? it burns about a quart every time i fill up. So here goes my noob questions. I know i'll have to have it machined but after all this is done i want to get into modifying my head. I've read that getting a performance cam will lower EGTs and build boost quicker. But is it really worth the coin on a truck that will most likely never see over 600hp? Is there any Rebuild kits yall would suggest for over sized pistons? I'd like to do head studs while i've got everything torn apart, but again forgive my lack of motor knowledge, would you still use the stock headgasket? The studs would just lock everything down tighter than head bolts right? What all should be done to the head while apart?

okay okay to many noob questions at once.. Heres the video.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also forgot to add that the truck falls on its face while trying to start from a deadstop in 2nd gear. whole truck just axle wraps and wants to die out. Its on 35's and 22s. Could this because of the low compression?

Last edited by asylum-; 02-13-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

THE WHITE SMOKE IS THE PUMP TIMING IS OFF. you need to check for blow by. pull the oil fill cap and start to engine cold to see if you have blow by. all of these 12vs use oil. if it has bad rings it will blow the dip stick right out because of all of the pressure in the crank case. alot of guys will add another crank case breather.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i'll look into it, but the pump timing off will make it burn a quart of oil every 300 miles??

Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

no. is it burning oil or leaking oil. get under your truck and see if there is oil all over ever thing. if it has bad rings there will be oil all over the place under the truck do to blow by.